House collapses in fire

KATHRYN KING
Last updated 15:05 25/08/2014
Fire
MURRAY WILSON/FAIRFAX NZ

DESTROYED: Fire crews were called to the Housing New Zealand home in Collins Cres about 10.30am.

Relevant offers

A Feilding flat has been destroyed following a cooking fire.

Fire crews were called to the Housing New Zealand home in Collins Cres about 10.30am today.

Fire Service Manawatu area commander Mitchell Brown said the fire had spread quickly and was already well advanced when fire crews arrived.

Is is believed to have started from a pan of chicken nuggets, left on the stove unattended.

Smoke alarms in the house were working at the time of the fire, and the lone male occupant, who had gone into another room of the house, made an unsuccessful attempt to put the fire out before escaping to safety.

It is understood the house is also home to a number of children, but they were at school at the time of the fire.

Brown said minutes after arrival, the decision was made to pull fire fighters out of the house, because of concerns over the structural integrity of the roof.

A few minutes later, it collapsed inward.

An adjoining flat, which was empty at the time, was undamaged thanks to a concrete wall separating the two homes.

Ad Feedback

- Manawatu Standard

Special offers
Opinion poll

Have you already voted in this year's general election?

Yes, I liked getting in there early

No, but I will on Saturday

I'm not planning on voting at all

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Small-Celebrations-MS

Celebrations

View marriage and birth notices from around the region

Small-Deaths-MS

Death Notices

View obituaries from around the region

Family Notices