Large house fire in Terrace End

Last updated 12:23 02/12/2013
House fire
MURRAY WILSON/FAIRFAX NZ

GUTTED: A fire at a Terrace End house has destroyed the property.

Relevant offers

LATEST: A toaster is believed to be the cause of a house fire that destroyed a Terrace End home this morning.

Fire services were called to the house, at 4 Ruamahanga Cres, about 10.15am, but Palmerston North Fire Safety Officer Kerry O'Keefe said it was likely the toaster had been smouldering well before then.

The toaster had been left plugged in inside a kitchen bench top in-built bread bin with a pulldown door, which had caught the switch as it closed, he said.

The occupants of the house had left by about 8.15am, and it was likely it had been smouldering since then, he said.

Neighbours were alerted to the fire by the sound of windows blowing out, but a smoke alarm would probably have caught their attention earlier had there been one working, he said.

The only room not damaged by fire or smoke was the toilet.

Despite all the doors being closed, an internal ventilation system had dispersed the smoke throughout the house, he said.

The occupants of the house, who were at work at the time of the fire, declined to comment.

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Special offers
Opinion poll

Are you planning to attend an Anzac Day ceremony on Friday?

Yes

No

I haven't decided yet

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Small-Deaths-MS

Death Notices

View obituaries from around the region

Family Notices
Small-Celebrations-MS

Celebrations

View marriage and birth notices from around the region

Lifestyle

Hot in the city

You will need sunnies this summer as the eye-popping fluoro is back!