Police say they are pleased they did not have to charge anyone for drink-driving during an operation which saw more than 2500 people pulled over in the central North Island.
Police had three checkpoints set up throughout the area - at Sanson, Mangaweka and Eltham in Taranaki - on Friday afternoon.
Despite pulling over 2584 drivers, not one was found to be over the drink-drive limit.
However, 85 infringement notices were issued for offences such as having an expired warrant of fitness and driving a faulty vehicle.
Senior Sergeant Kris Burbery, officer in charge of Central District Highway Patrol, said he was pleased with the result.
''Having the three different locations meant that most drivers travelling through Central District would have been stopped at one or more of these sites.
''It was clear that many of the drivers stopped [on Friday] were already heading away on holiday and we hope that with the positive feedback from those stopped, that drivers are taking real notice of the road safety messages.''
St John Ambulance, Horizons Regional Council and ACC also used the checkpoints to deliver some safety information, he said.
Plunket volunteers were also involved, ensuring children were buckled up safely.
There have been 20 deaths on roads in the Central District area this year, and Mr Burbery said he was keen for that number not to grow.
''Police want everyone to get home safely this festive season.''
Mr Burbery said people should remember the speed tolerance had been lowered to 4kmh until the end of January, and that the speed limit was not a target.
- Manawatu Standard
Have you had a garage sale lately?Related story: Garage sale turf under threat