Police pursuit accused in court

01:58, Jun 07 2014

The father of a man accused of driving a car chased by police at high speeds in Palmerston North has expressed sympathy for the families of the three women injured when the pursuit came to a crashing halt.

Jonathon Edward James Moore, 22, was remanded in custody in the Palmerston North District Court yesterday by a Justice of the Peace on a charge of dangerous driving causing injury.

Moore was involved in a high-speed police pursuit in Palmerston North city suburbs on Thursday that came to an end on Vogel St when the Subaru WRX he was driving collided with another vehicle carrying three women.

The women were trapped in the vehicle, a Mazda, and had to be cut free by the Palmerston North Fire Service.

Two of the women, aged 88 and 60, were seriously injured, and the third, aged 58, suffered moderate injuries.

The 88-year-old woman has been transferred to Auckland's Middlemore Hospital where she was in a serious condition in the intensive care unit yesterday.


The other two remained in Palmerston North Hospital, one in a serious condition in intensive care and the other in a ward.

Moore, who walked away from the crash unscathed, did not enter a plea and will reappear in court later this month. He was supported in court by a handful of friends and family, including brother Michael Moore, who is believed to have been in the car at the time of the crash.

He called out "middle finger my bruva", in support of Moore as he left the dock.

Moore's father, Russell Moore, took to Facebook on the day of the crash to express his sympathies to the families of the women who were hit.

There was condemnation on social media of Jonathon Moore, and both his father's and brother's Facebook pages had been closed down by yesterday morning.

Manawatu police area commander Inspector Pat Handcock said the Independent Police Conduct Authority had been notified of the crash and they were waiting to hear back from it in relation to what type of investigation it would undertake.

A scene examination at the site of the crash had been completed and the police serious crash unit's investigation was ongoing.

All that remained at the crash scene yesterday were fragments of broken lights and spraypainted marks leading to the crash site.

Manawatu Standard