Wife can't recall boot dumped

Trying to remember if she threw out a "scungy" old dive boot that belonged to her husband is doing Anna Macdonald's head in.

Earlier in Ewen Macdonald's murder trial at the High Court in Wellington, she said she threw an old boot onto a trailer full of rubbish in 2008.

That's when they moved from a cottage to the main Guy family farmhouse at 147 Aorangi Rd.

But yesterday Mrs Macdonald resiled slightly from her original statement, saying she cannot remember physically throwing the boot on the trash.

"I just thought that's probably what we would have done as we had a trailer of rubbish at the back."

On top of that, Marlene Macdonald, the accused's mother, said she remembered a spare key being kept in a dive boot after the shift to the new house.

Ewen Kerry Macdonald, 32, is accused of gunning down Scott Guy, his brother-in-law, in the early hours of July 8, 2010.

The Crown says he was wearing a pair of size nine dive boots he had bought from his father's Hunting and Fishing store in 2004.

No boots have been found in Macdonald's possession but his wife said she could remember seeing the "scungy" old boot in 2008.

Her husband had since asked her about that, while he was in Manawatu Prison awaiting the trial.

"I had a conversation with Ewen last year, but I'm not exactly sure when, and he said to me: `They keep going on to me about the dive boots. Can you remember throwing them out on the trailer? Can you think about it?' I didn't speak to him again about that," she said. "I've been thinking about this because this is blimmin' doing my head in."

Yesterday was also the first and only time the trial would hear from Macdonald's parents.

Neither of them said they knew much about their son's life on the Byreburn farm, but dad Kerry said his son was good at what he did.

He was also good at hunting.

"He picked it up pretty quickly and I would have rated him as a better hunter than me," Mr Macdonald said.

Police Detective Gregory Hogan said an extensive search of the family farm was undertaken in April 2011.

But two effluent ponds and a runoff pond could not be looked at, neither could the entire farm's more than 300 hectares of land be dug up.

Manawatu Standard