Powerco seeks answers
Powerco will seek answers from its suppliers about why some Milson people were not told about scheduled power outages.
In a Manawatu Standardarticle last week business owners in the Palmerston North suburb voiced their concerns about the cuts taking place during the day.
The first planned outage took place yesterday, with the power being cut from 8.45am until 2pm.
While businesses were warned, Milson resident Tracy Bennett said she was not told about the cuts.
When the power went out she rang Powerco, which said there was nothing wrong.
Her power provider, Nova, told her it had no information about the outage.
"Everyone is just fobbing us off," Ms Bennett said.
"It's very frustrating, we don't even know how long it will be out for.
"My elderly neighbour has just come back from hospital, so I'm worried about her."
Milson School was also without power and principal Barrie Eccles didn't think he had been notified.
A Powerco spokeswoman said the company notified all power providers about the planned outages, and it was up to them to let their customers know about the cuts.
The company would be asking providers why people were not told - to make sure messages got out to the right people in future, she said.
There are two more rounds of cuts planned, on Monday and next Friday mornings.
The cut on Monday is planned for 8am until 10am, while the Friday cut will be from 9.30am until 11am. However, there is a "reserve day" booked in for both days. If these have to be used, the power will be cut on the following Tuesday and Saturday at the same times.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you agree with increased oil exploration?