An online auction for a burnt jar of Marmite has crossed the $200 mark.
The odd item was put up for sale last week following a suspicious house fire, which cost six Palmerston North students everything.
Five of the six didn't have insurance.
The 'Smokey Marmite' item has clocked more than 140,000 views on Trade Me.
Proceeds go to the six flatmates, but there have also been offers of help from people around the country.
The listing, being run by Jerram Tuck, gives a description of the circumstances that forced the students to auction off the jar of black gold.
"Essentially everything in the house is a write-off - if the fire didn't get to it then the heat melted it or smoke rendered it so stanky that it'll never be used again," the ad says.
"Fortunately however, this 500g jar of Marmite survived with only minor smoke damage to the exterior. It is still half-full of delicious Marmite goodness!"
The auction closes at 10.02pm Monday.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you agree with increased oil exploration?