BREAKING NEWS
Historic test win for Black Caps ... More soon
Close

Elderly woman risks life for possessions

Last updated 08:49 20/11/2012

Relevant offers

An elderly woman was treated for smoke inhalation after running in and out of her burning flat in an attempt to save some of her possessions.

The Bulls Volunteer Fire Service were called to the fire in Hammond St shortly after 3pm yesterday.

Chief Fire Officer Brian Carter said the fire started in the middle of a set of six council flats, but was contained by concrete fire walls separating the apartments.

The fire was believed to have started on the stove.

The surrounding flats suffered a small amount of smoke damage, but were otherwise unharmed, Mr Carter said.

Ad Feedback

- Manawatu Standard

Special offers
Opinion poll

If you had a choice, which would you prefer on Christmas day?

A sunny, warm, breathless day

A metre of snow to play in

Thunder and rain - perfect for indoor lunch and snooze

Don't mind at all ... that BBQ will be lit

Vote Result

Related story: Sun takes a Christmas holiday

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content