Marton fire started by stove

KATHRYN KING
Last updated 08:42 04/12/2012

Relevant offers

Unattended cooking is believed to be the cause of a house fire that destroyed half of a Marton house, car and boat.

Marton Volunteer Fire Brigade chief fire officer Paul Hudson said they were called to the fire on Grey St at 1.50pm yesterday.

When crews arrived, fire had already taken hold of the kitchen, laundry and lounge, Mr Hudson said.

A woman, believed to be in her 30s, was home at the time the fire started, and had accidentally turned on the wrong ring on the stovetop.

She had then gone away to do other things in the house and when she came back a fire had started.

When he arrived, the woman was lying outside the house being looked after by neighbours.

She was later treated for smoke inhalation.

A car and a boat parked next to the house were also badly damaged by fire, and rooms of the house not burnt were smoke damaged.

Ad Feedback

- Manawatu Standard

Special offers
Opinion poll

If you had a choice, which would you prefer on Christmas day?

A sunny, warm, breathless day

A metre of snow to play in

Thunder and rain - perfect for indoor lunch and snooze

Don't mind at all ... that BBQ will be lit

Vote Result

Related story: Sun takes a Christmas holiday

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content