Quick thinking averts disaster

JIMMY ELLINGHAM
Last updated 06:41 10/12/2012

Relevant offers

The owners of a gas-fired oven avoided a brush with disaster after a passer-by noticed flames on their food cooker.

The fire service was called and the flames quickly doused, much to the surprise of the oven owner.

The ‘‘home-built’’ gas oven was stored in a carport, visible from the street.

‘‘It was just a passer-by who saw it,’’ Milson station officer Kerry Williams said.

‘‘When we bowled up, the house owner didn’t even know what was going on. He came out and said, ‘what the hell is going on here?’

The fire happened about 10.45am on Saturday at a Tremaine Ave, Palmerston North, property.

Mr Williams said the flames were less than half a metre high and took hold after the hose from a 9-kilogram cylinder to the oven had worn away.

It could have been worse. It could have caught the carport on fire,’’ Mr Williams said.

He said it was lucky the gas cylinder did not explode. 

Ad Feedback

- Manawatu Standard

Special offers
Opinion poll

How excited are you about the 2014 Commonwealth Games?

It's gold, bring it on

It's okay, like a watered-down Olympics

Not really - but I'll be once NZ serve up some dramatics.

Old episodes of Friends are more exciting.

Vote Result

Related story: After the hype, time to let the Games begin

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content