The Department of Conservation says fireworks are the likely cause of a fire in the Manawatu Gorge.
While that blaze was put out before too much damage was done, DOC staff are warning people to be careful with fires.
Last Sunday, firefighters from the Fire Service, Palmerston North City Council and DOC were called to a blaze in the Manawatu Gorge Scenic Reserve. It was believed to have been started by fireworks being let off from the road.
"Fortunately, the fire was put out before any major damage was done, but with a long, dry summer predicted, next time we might not be so lucky," DOC biodiversity programme manager Nikki Pindur said.
"Most wild fires are the result of carelessness, but they put lives at risk, destroy property, and devastate natural areas," she said.
- Manawatu Standard
Will the bus shelter walkway planned for The Square be ready by the end of June?Related story: Covered walkway for Palmerston North bus users by winter