DOC warns of dry summer

Last updated 08:00 15/12/2012

Relevant offers

The Department of Conservation says fireworks are the likely cause of a fire in the Manawatu Gorge.

While that blaze was put out before too much damage was done, DOC staff are warning people to be careful with fires.

Last Sunday, firefighters from the Fire Service, Palmerston North City Council and DOC were called to a blaze in the Manawatu Gorge Scenic Reserve. It was believed to have been started by fireworks being let off from the road.

"Fortunately, the fire was put out before any major damage was done, but with a long, dry summer predicted, next time we might not be so lucky," DOC biodiversity programme manager Nikki Pindur said.

"Most wild fires are the result of carelessness, but they put lives at risk, destroy property, and devastate natural areas," she said.

Ad Feedback

- Manawatu Standard

Special offers
Opinion poll

Do you have faith in police solving burglaries?

Yes - there's no faulting their commitment.

Mostly, but they are under-resourced.

Sort of - depends on when and where.

Not really - clearly a low priority for them.

Absolutely not.

Not sure - luckily I've never been burgled.

Vote Result

Related story: Burglaries figures down but fewer being solved

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content