Postie prepares for 650km cycle in 24 hours

Colin Anderson has the details confirmed for his somewhat extreme endurance ride in Feilding later in the month.

Anderson will attempt to cycle 650 kilometres in 24 hours during his 65th year at the Johnston Park velodrome on January 19-20 starting at 10am.

The Palmerston North postie has paid his fees to the Ultra Marathon Cycling Association and is going to have a crack at setting a world benchmark in what will have him feeling "more like an 80-year-old" after it.

■ The three biggest stock car titles in the country are now held by Manawatu drivers.

After Peter Rees won the national stock car title in Christchurch last week, Shane Penn won the super stocks title in Nelson and the pair of Paul Humphrey and Ben Franklin won the side cars title in Christchurch, both on Saturday.

It will be the first time ever Palmerston North has held the national titles in these classes at once and the latter two were crossing Cook Strait yesterday on their way to Manawatu.

■ Good sport that he is, Gary Vile invited Shanon MacDonald to join him and jockey Jonathan Parkes at the presentation of the Gallagher Marton Cup at Awapuni on Saturday. A sister of Vile's long-time partner Vivienne Kaye, MacDonald stood in for Vile's co-owner and breeder Jean Walsh of Taranaki who was unable to get to the meeting.

The race was the third success for Ransomed at Awapuni and a confident leadup to the horse's main aim, the Wellington Cup.

■ Horowhenua-Kapiti have confirmed the details for their shot at wresting the Log o' Wood from Waikato.

The Ranfurly Shield challenge will be in Morrinsville on Wednesday, July 17. Horowhenua-Kapiti don't have the best record when challenging for the shield, including a 99-6 loss to North Harbour in 2007, but chief executive Corey Kennett expected it to be the ultimate game for many of their players.

■ High temperatures and fires delayed Paul Humphrey winning at the national side car championships at Christchurch during the weekend.

Fires forced an evacuation of the drivers before practice began on Friday night, with temperatures reaching more than 36 degrees Celsius, and the track is in the middle of the forest, so the fire service weren't taking any risks.

The fire brigade gave them the all-clear to race and they managed to get in 43 races in four hours despite there being no lights at the track.

Drivers could see the fire from where they were racing but the wind was going the other way, luckily enough.

Manawatu Standard