Wanted man appears in court

17:24, Jan 15 2013
IN COURT: Kristofer Jones appeared in Palmerston North District Court today.

A man arrested in connection with a Featherston homicide has appeared in Palmerston North District Court this afternoon.

Kristofer Jones, 23, entered no plea when he appeared in front of JP Ray Benjamin on a charge of aggravated burglary.

He was remanded in custody until January 18.

WANTED: Hayden Ranson remains on the run and is wanted by police in relation to the fatal beating of Featherston man Glen Jones.

Detective Inspector Sean Hansen said in a statement armed police had arrested Kristofer Jones, 23, on State Highway 1 near Hunterville about 2am this morning.

Police found the blue 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage he was believed to have been using in Levin late yesterday.

Hayden Ranson, 27, who was thought to be travelling with Jones, remained on the run and was thought to be in the central and lower North Island.


Police are advising members of the public not to approach him and call police immediately.

Glen Jones, 40, who is not related to Kristofer, died of head injuries suffered in a beating in his Featherston home shortly after midnight on Saturday morning.

The people allegedly involved in the attack were gathering to mark the anniversary of a friend's death.

Arrest warrants were issued for Jones and Ranson yesterday, after three co-accused appeared at Masterton District Court on charges of aggravated burglary.

They were charged with entering Mr Jones' home with a wooden bat and an axe handle.

Police are also speaking to three other people, but it was not known whether they would be charged.

Kristofer Jones is a former partner of Aimee Wilson, who died after a car she was a passenger in crashed north of Masterton shortly before midnight on January 12, 2011. The couple had a child together.

It is understood a number of people charged in connection with Mr Jones' death were gathering to remember Ms Wilson, who was killed two years to the day before Mr Jones' beating.

A Masterton neighbour of one of the females accused said that she arrived home about 9.30pm on Friday to find there was a gathering at a Solway address.

A white Holden Commodore which police have linked to the attack was parked in the driveway.

There was a large group of people "drinking and laughing" sitting in deck chairs at the back of property, the neighbour said.

The neighbour has since seen police officers visit the home and remove items in brown paper bags.

On Saturday morning, Kristofer Jones posted on Facebook that he was "still feeling a lil drunk from last night" and organised to meet friends involved in a memorial gathering at the car park of McDonald's in Masterton.

A year earlier a large convoy had gathered in Ms Wilson's memory before driving to the site of her death in Mikimiki Rd.

It is understood children who lived at the address are now staying with their grandmother down the street.

The grandmother said she was struggling to come to terms with the arrests and refused to comment further.

Detective Inspector Sean Hansen yesterday said despite sharing a surname, Kristofer Jones was not related to the victim.

Police were still working to determine any links between the victim and his alleged attackers.

More charges would probably follow in relation to Mr Jones' death, Mr Hansen said.

"We had a man killed in his home and there is all likelihood that further charges are likely."

Police have also recovered several objects linked to Mr Jones' death from a Lower Hutt industrial site.

Investigators are still looking for sightings of the white Holden Commodore linked to the death, which travelled through the Wairarapa, Hutt Valley and Wellington during the weekend.

The three who appeared in court yesterday - two women aged 22 and 32 as well as a 28-year-old man - were remanded in custody until later this week. All three have name suppression.

Manawatu Standard