Mark Zuckerberg and wife give away 99% of Facebook, welcome new baby ... more soon

Smoke butt likely started fire

Last updated 08:21 21/02/2013

Relevant offers

The fire service is warning smokers to be careful, after they spent nearly an hour putting out a fire in Palmerston North this morning likely to have been started by a cigarette butt.

Palmerston North fire station officer Kerry Williams said a truck was called out at 12.45am to Franklin Ave, where officers found a fence and garden on fire.

"Luckily the neighbours heard some noises and looked out to see the flames."

The fire was hard to access as it was down a long driveway, which contributed to officers being there for about 50 minutes, he said.

No-one was injured in the blaze, but the fence was damaged.

Mr Williams said it was believed a cigarette butt had started the fire. "Someone has possibly dropped a smoke on the dry leaves, where it has smouldered and started the fire."

Smokers needed to be careful with their used cigarettes at all times, especially during dry summer conditions, he said.

Ad Feedback

- Manawatu Standard


Special offers
Opinion poll

Should Manawatu's earthquake-prone buildings be yellow-stickered?

Yes, risks are too great not to

Only if they're really dangerous

No, there's no need

Absolutely not, it would damage business

Vote Result

Related story: Council won't use earthquake-risk stickers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content