Chemical fire at Horowhenua College

SCENE: Fire fighters at the scene of the fire.
SCENE: Fire fighters at the scene of the fire.

Four students were treated for inhaling chemical fumes after a fire at Horowhenua College - the second fire in two days.

The fire service was called to the college in Levin at about 11.30am and is still at the scene.

Levin deputy chief fire officer Carl Beissel said the fire started in a locked and empty science lab.

There were chemicals involved; however the fire service would not confirm which ones.

Students from the school were evacuated on to backfield and roads were shut between Trafalgar and Bath St.

Four students and four adults were believed to have inhaled chemical fumes and required decontamination.

Two firefighters also required decontamination. 

A small area in the science room was damaged in the fire.

Four fire crews from Levin, Otaki and Waitarere Beach were at the incident.

Horowhenua College was also the scene of a fire yesterday after a plastic toilet roll holder was set alight.

Manawatu Standard