Mother unhappy with firm
As police continue to investigate the cause of the Shannon bus crash, InterCity is keeping in touch with passengers to ensure they are coping.
But a mother says the coachline company has not been doing enough, and that the business tried to absolve its driver of blame before the investigation was over.
A Tranzit bus - Tranzit is part-owned by InterCity - crashed just north of the Horowhenua town on Sunday night, with its 39 passengers escaping through a side window after the vehicle rolled.
Sergeant John May of Foxton said police were still investigating what caused the crash. Officers would be speaking to passengers in the coming days, he said. They were yet to speak to the driver, and would be approaching him soon.
Angela Sayring, of Wellington, said her daughter Yvonne was on the bus that night, and InterCity's response afterwards had been inadequate.
While the bus service did take all the passengers back to Palmerston North, Mrs Sayring said her daughter was left at the Pitt St depot on her own, in a city she did not know.
Mrs Sayring said her daughter had not heard from the company until it offered her a $34 travel voucher as a gesture of goodwill.
"I'm just disappointed with the way things were handled."
She was also told by a customer services assistant in an email that police had not raised any issues about how the driver had acted on the night. She said this was unprofessional, as the investigation was still taking place.
InterCity general manager Sam Peate said the company had been in touch with all passengers it had contact details for, and was genuinely concerned about how its customers were doing. "I accept that email could have been worded better, and we will take that on board," he said.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you agree with increased oil exploration?