Palmerston North firefighters were called out this morning when a roadside power box blew up in Kelvin Grove.
The smoking fuse box on Kelvin Grove Rd appeared to have short circuited about 1am.
Station officer Chris Faithfull said at first water couldn't be used to douse the box for fear of electrocution, so firefighters had to wait for the power company to arrive to isolate the electricity.
In the meantime the box, which was sparking, burst into flames, igniting a nearby fence.
Mr Faithfull said the explosion was loud, but firefighters had the blaze quelled within the hour, with only scorch marks on the fence.
No one was injured and there were no power outages.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you agree with increased oil exploration?