Curfew extended for birthday

Last updated 07:54 04/12/2013

Relevant offers

One is behind bars, the other is off to Lone Star.

The wanted man and a woman found by armed police while carrying out warrants to arrest at a College St property in Palmerston North on Monday have made appearances in court, with one remanded in custody, and the other released bail with conditions.

Their arrests came after police set up a cordon around College and Cook streets in an attempt to flush out a 32-year-old man inside.

Police fired gas canisters during the standoff and after a chase which involved a car and a barefoot dash, they eventually arrested the fleeing man in Kelvin Grove that evening.

In the process of arresting the 32-year-old man, who is due to appear in the Palmerston North District Court today, police also found and arrested Palmerston North woman Jennifer Ross, 23, and Palmerston North man Tiari Tipene, 36.

The two appeared separately in front of Justice of the Peace Ray Bensemann yesterday.

Ross had failed to appear in court numerous times before being arrested and had been wanted by police since October for assault and receiving stolen goods.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Stu Oram said Ross should be remanded on bail until her next appearance, with a compulsory curfew put in place for her to stay at her mother's Palmerston North address between 7pm and 7am each night.

Defence lawyer Mike Andrews said the curfew was not ideal for Ross who did not want to miss out on a family member's 21st birthday at Lone Star.

He recommended Mr Bensemann drop the curfew for that night.

The reason Ross had missed her last court appearance was because she had a miscarriage and not because she was deliberately avoiding court, Mr Andrews said.

Mr Bensemann said any future failure to appear for a court date would probably result in her remaining in custody. He remanded her on bail, and imposed the 7am to 7pm curfew, until her next appearance in January except for the night of the 21st birthday when Ross could stay out until midnight.

Tipene made a brief appearance in the dock. He had been wanted by police for arrest since January on a number of driving and drug offences. Without a lawyer, and with police opposing his bail, Mr Bensemann remanded Tipene in custody, with a reappearance scheduled for later this week.

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Special offers
Opinion poll

Do you agree with increased oil exploration?

Yes, we need to find out what resources are there

No, it's too risky. Leave the sites alone.

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content