Fire a blow to woman getting back on her feet

00:07, Feb 04 2014
House fire
CONTENTS DESTROYED: Fire officers inspect a fire-damaged house t Heatherlea Heights in Feilding.

The occupants of a Feilding home destroyed by fire have "lost everything".

Emergency services were called to the house at Heatherlea Heights about 11.15am after a member of the public saw smoke coming from the building.

A woman who lived in the house said she was at her brother-in-law's place down the road when they received the call their house was on fire.

UP IN SMOKE: Police say it is too early to tell if the fire which destroyed a Feilding family's home was suspicious.

"Words can't describe the way I felt," she said.

The woman, who did not wish to be named, said she moved to Feilding four or five years ago, arriving with nothing. Now she was starting all over again.

Their family, two adults, a 4-year-old boy, an 18-month-old toddler, and a baby due within the next few weeks, needed all the help they could get.


"We've pretty much lost everything, so we pretty much need everything, we've lost it all. It's completely gone," she said.

She was aware of donation centres being set up for her, but she'd had a lot on her mind.

"We could have easily still been in the house, my kids could have still been there, I'm just so glad we weren't."

Meanwhile, police have told those wanting to donate items to the family to do so through Manchester House on Aorangi St in Feilding.

Clean items were appreciated and clothing for children aged newborn to 5-years would be gratefully received, Acting Detective Sergeant Felicity Cato, of the Feilding CIB, said.

She said it was too early to say what caused the fire, including whether it was suspicious.

Manawatu area commander Mitchell Brown said the fire started inside the house in one of the back rooms before spreading through the house and into the roof.

Witness Charmaine Pene said she was outside, three houses down, when she smelled smoke. She said the fire took hold quickly.

"It just started and it wouldn't stop," she said.

Meanwhile, the Fire Service was also investigating a house fire at Cornfoots Rd between Turakina and Marton. The fire started about 11am yesterday, just minutes before the Feilding fire.

Acting shift manager Craig Dally said four or five trucks attended.

  • Donations to the family can be made through Manchester House on Aorangi St in Feilding.

- Additional reporting Zaryd Wilson

Manawatu Standard