College grab draw against Massey

00:57, May 19 2014

Honours were shared as competition leaders Massey and College fought out a 3-3 draw in their club match at the twin turfs on Saturday.

College started off well and impressed with an early goal, then looked to defend their lead, keeping all their players behind the ball, as Massey enjoyed the control of possession and slowly ground their way into the match.

College's defence was organised and did not allow Massey freedom to attack down the outside fringes. The tactic frustrated many Massey raids and it was not until late in the first spell the College keeper touched the ball.

Massey equalised with a field goal and action continued, with both teams looking to gain the upper hand. Andrew Gifkins scored for College and Massey equalised.

The tempo lifted as Massey enjoyed a period of possession with College just as determined in defence.

Massey went ahead off a fortuitous deflection that wrong-footed the College keeper.


College kept defending as a team, allowing Massey time in possession and position.

Massey kept plugging the College defence and the game slowed down and the tactic paid off. College finished the game with a flurry of attacks, securing a penalty, penalty corner, and penalty stroke that Matt Young scored, earning the draw.

Marist won 6-2 over Tech College Old Boys.

Marist had two leaders back in their lineup and opened the match strongly, contesting all possession. Isaac Turner and Josh Scott scored for Marist and they never looked back, although a rebuilding Tech side grabbed a goal back.

Marist controlled most of the match and the turning point came with two quick goals after halftime that kept Tech on the back foot.

Tech's best period came next, scoring another goal. Marist were unfazed, finishing the match with two further goals.

Marist midfielder Brahm Beuger had an outstanding game.

High School Hockey Club won 6-2 over Levin Hockey - Manawatu College Old Boys in Levin on Saturday.

A tight first-half tussle saw HSHC gain a 3-2 lead by halftime.

HSHC never looked back with Tom Lush and Krishan Gajadar leading the way, they snuffed out the MCOB attack at the back.

Palmerston North Boys' High School had the bye.

In the women's competition, College won 1-0 in a titanic battle with competition leader Massey, with the only goal coming in the 25th minute. Both teams traded opportunities for much of the first half with the winning goal coming from Beth Norman.

Massey had their best period of dominance after the break which College weathered with their former Black Sticks showing their experience by staying back in defence of their lead.

Fresh legs swung momentum College's way, with Vicki Lautman leading their resurgence.

Massey's combinations seemed rusty in their play, having had a bye and deferments for a couple of weeks because of under-21 nationals.

Collegians won their second match of the competition, beating HSHC Rebels 3-1 in Wanganui.

Rebels gave a good account of themselves in the first period with the score tied 0-0 at halftime.

The scoring action came in the second spell, with the Rebels breaking the deadlock in the opening minutes of a penalty corner. However, Collegians struck back with three field goals to close out the game.

High School Hockey Club won 7-0 over Tech College Old Boys.

HSHC had a great game dominating up the middle, led with some solid play by former Black Stick Cath Finlayson.

HSHC led 3-0 at the break and kept the pressure on Tech in the second spell, with goals coming at regular intervals. Tech goalkeeper Melissa Hylton had an outstanding game with her reaction saves instrumental in keeping the score down.

Palmerston North Girls' High School had the bye.

Manawatu Standard