Marist fight hard to grab place in the top four

00:00, Jul 21 2014

Marist qualified for the top four for the first time in their three-year history with a 4-2 win over Levin-Manawatu College Old Boys in the club competition at Levin on Saturday.

Old Boys and Marist played a hard-fought game and they were both desperate to gain fourth position on the championship ladder, keeping their chances of winning the competition alive.

There was plenty of action in the first half with MCOB on top 2-1 by halftime.

Goal action came midway in the second spell, with a flurry of goals in five minutes seeing Marist grab the lead for the first time and held on to qualify.

The competition splits into top four and bottom three contests next weekend after catch up games during the week.

College won 6-1 over Tech College Old Boys and continued their recent run of form.


College opened the match with a period on attack, earning two penalty corners that Tech easily defended.

After swapping chances with Tech, College broke up the sidelines and the cross pass saw Ben Molloy score.

Play swung around the field as College searched for more goals and Tech searched for their high forwards.

College then struck again late in the spell with a penalty stroke by Matt Young.

Tech hit back straightway, earning a goal off penalty corner right on halftime.

College capitalised on lots of possession and chances created with Young scoring off a back hit.

Tech lived off fast breaks from College errors, but never really threatened the College goal.

A spurt of goals by Carlos Jensen, Andrew Gardner and Warren Phillips in the last quarter blew out the result.

High School Hockey Club won 3-2 over Palmerston North Boys' High School in a close match.

It was an open game with HSHC going up 2-0 after HSHC latched onto an unmarked player a couple of times and scored.

Boys' High's Jason Peel got a good deflection goal.

Play evened up either side of halftime.

Both sides played expansive hockey and created good chances.

The result was uncertain as firstly Boys' High's good passing saw Tom O'Connor equalise.

A dragflick by Matt Brougham broke the deadlock and HSHC held on, as Boys' High mounted attacks that stretched HSHC's defence.

Krishan Gajdhar was outstanding for HSHC in midfield, marshalling defence and feeding their strikers.

Greg Bates stood out, leading Boys' High's aggressive defence and direct passes.

Massey had the bye.

In the women's competition, High School Hockey Club came from behind to beat Palmerston North Girls' High School 3-1.

An open game with play at both ends in the first half, with Girls' High up 1-0 at the break through a deflection goal by Anna Willocks.

Girls' High kept HSHC out for a long period, they played as a team, making raids into the HSHC defensive circle.

HSHC slowly turned possession into goals and in the second half they kept possession for longer and their shots were more on target.

Pippa Norman excelled for HSHC.

College won 2-0 over Collegians to earn a top four competition place.

College had a good first half where they dominated play, with Stacey Lloyd opening the scoring with a diving shot off a cross pass.

Amanda Bowick made it 2-0 off a penalty corner.

In the second spell the game evened out with College unable to score again as Collegians competed more in the midfield.

Lloyd and Beth Norman had stand out games up front for College.

High School Hockey Club Rebels won 2-1 over Tech College Old Boys in Wanganui.

Rebels dominated for the most of the match with Tech getting more aggressive in the last quarter hour and scored their consolation goal.

Massey had the bye.

Manawatu Standard