Marist, Massey in eight-goal frenzy

The semifinalists have been found after the final round of club hockey competition, where there were goals galore as teams honed their strategies for next weekend.

Massey and Marist produced the game of the day when they drew 4-all in a pulsating match.

Massey hogged possession at the start, pushing Marist's defence hard to leak a goal.

Marist were staunch and they broke the deadlock, scoring on the quarter hour.

Massey resumed their relentless attack, seeking the equaliser, which came in the 31st minute off a penalty corner breakdown.

Marist broke again when Josh Scott slipped a pass for Isaac Turner to score the first of a brace.

After halftime Marist went down a man after a sinbinning and Massey equalised.

Marist quickly broke back when Nick Wong slipped a pass for Adam Kelly to tap in. Massey scored two quick goals at three-quarter time to take the lead for the first time.

Marist came back, missing two clear chances with the goal open before grabbing a draw off a penalty stroke by Turner.

Brahm Beuger and Nic Chong had strong games for Marist, while Aaron Edmunds had a standout game in defence for Massey.

Competition leader High School Hockey Club won the most points trophy despite suffering 3-0 loss to second-placed College,.

College quickly scored from the opening, while putting HSHC on the back foot from the outset.

HSHC commanded the first quarter, but were unable to crack College's defence.

College controlled play in the second quarter, with Matt Young producing some individual flare to score College's second goal.

College scored again after halftime before HSHC dominated the final 10 minutes with an extra attacker after subbing off their keeper.

Ben Molloy had a strong game up front for College.

Tech College Old Boys claimed the honours in the last bottom three match of the season with a 4-3 win over Levin-Manawatu College Old Boys in Wanganui. The score was locked 1-all at the break after some good open play.

Tech grabbed the lead early in the second spell, then both teams traded goals. The result was in the balance right to fulltime.

In the women's competition, top qualifier High School Hockey Club produced a clinical performance in the last round with a 5-0 win over Massey.

HSHC began strongly, scoring in the opening minutes, and never looked back as they hunted as a team, pressuring a Massey side who looked low on confidence.

Forced to play catch-up hockey, Massey never looked comfortable and coughed up possession regularly, with Wendy Hull and Pippa Norman having strong games for HSHC in midfield.

Paige Sly, Hull and Casey-Mae Waddell scored goals in the first half to seal the result by the break, then added two more after halftime.

College won 5-1 over fourth-placed Palmerston North Girls' High School.

Girls' High attacked in the opening periodand had College scrambling in defence. College were slow starters until they scored off a breakout raid, sweeping up the field at the quarter hour. Girls' High had the odd sortie, however, their raids became predictable.

College grabbed another goal late in the half through Lydia Scott.

The game evened out with College creating six or seven chances through turnovers and runaways and extended the lead.

Girls' High never gave up and came back with quick interpassing along with some nice circle work and scored, but they fell away at the end, conceding two goals.

College's Hayley Goodyer was influential in centre midfield, with Beth Norman, Charlotte Symes and Tara Pickering having strong games.

Collegians won 2-1 over High School Hockey Club Rebels.

Rebels dominated possession and territory for 80 per cent of the game, but could only convert one of 12 chances created.

Collegians took their limited chances, grabbing two goals.

Taylor Hansen had a standout game up front for Rebels.

Manawatu Standard