Hodge siblings strut their stuff

The Hodge family played a big part in tipping up the Wellington golf team on their home Levin Golf Club course yesterday.

Both have international credentials. Tyler played for the New Zealand men's team until his injury earlier this year and Manawatu-Wanganui's No 1 woman, sister Brydie, was a New Zealand junior to Australia this year.

At No 1 for the senior men, Tyler has quickly found his old form and he had two wins yesterday, over Wellingtonians Mark Jennings and up-and-comer Daniel Hillier. Brydie also won both of her matches, against nationally recognised Wellington No 1, Te Rongopai Clay (Titahi Bay) and over Gabrielle Palado (Manor Park).

In the final tally, Manawatu-Wanganui won 36-28 in the annual match. Wellington were without Espirito Santo player Julianne Alvarez but Manawatu-Wanganui didn't have the Munn brothers.

The senior men drew 12-all, Manawatu-Wanganui won the masters men 7 -4 , the juniors won 6 -5 and the women triumphed 10-6.

The players received a frosty reception in the morning and the delayed start to allow the frost to melt meant matches were reduced to nine-holers. The afternoon games were played over 18 holes.

Wellington were ahead in the senior men's match 8-4 after the morning games.

Also in the senior men, No 2 Lachie McDonald beat Hillier and halved with Jennings, Foxton's Junior Tatana halved with Jonathon Cane and lost to Thomas Spearman-Burn, while Palmerston North youngster Rhys Harold lost to Cane but had a good win over Spearman-Burn.

Hayden Ring was part of last year's triumphant Manawatu-Wanganui team in the national interprovincial. Now the Castlecliff player is working in Wellington and playing for Miramar, but he was beaten by Manawatu's Ewan Westergaard yesterday.

Westergaard halved his other match against Brayden Mazey.

Of the others, Tyler Lock (Castlecliff) had two losses and Manawatu's Rhys Watkins and Michael Birchall each had a win and a half. Manawatu's Emma Clayton at No 2 beat Parlado and lost to Clay.

For the second time in three years, Wellington arrived at Levin without the trophy to hand over to victors Manawatu-Wanganui. It has been misplaced and the hunt is on to find it, again.

Manawatu Standard