Double despair for Manawatu

Both Manawatu teams in action yesterday were pitched out of the 85th edition of the Chatham Cup competition.

Red Sox-Manawatu went closest but fell 1-0 to Taranaki division 1 side, New Plymouth Rangers, at Merrilands Domain in New Plymouth.

And Palmerston North End were beaten 4-1 by Taradale AFC at Taradale.

Despite the loss, Red Sox coach Aaron Clegg was far from dispirited even though the only goal of the game came a few minutes from fulltime.

"I was happy with the way the team played," he said. "We played some good football and we gave players 90 minutes who had not played much."

However, New Plymouth created better chances and took one when they broke quickly after North End had been pushing forward for a late goal themselves.

While New Plymouth play in Taranaki division 1, they had some old hands with previous Central League experience.

Striker Jerram Tuck had chances late in the game and was fouled when clean through on the goalkeeper with New Plymouth players lucky to stay on the park.

The others who went well for Red Sox were midfielder Duane Blackett and goalie Ben Wilkes.

It sounds unusual for a 4-1 scoreline but North End had chances, not only to equalise, but perhaps even to win against handy Eastern premiership side Taradale.

In the end, North End had to settle for just one goal, from Ross Heben 15 minutes into the second half. Taradale got their fourth at the end of the game.

Coach Garry Hodge said his team was poor in the first half and trailed 3-0 at halftime.

They had lost Chad Law to another knock to the head but Willie Hodge was solid in midfield. Overall though, it was a sub-standard effort by North End.

Teams with byes through to the second round from the Central region are Palmerston North Marist, Inglewood, Maycenvale United, Napier City Rovers and Wanganui City.

Striker Emma Boyack continued to go goal-mad with another three in the net yesterday as Massey University beat women's Central League defending champions, Waterside-Karori, 5-2, at Memorial Park.

Boyack has now scored 10 goals in three games for the unbeaten Massey side. She formerly played for Marist and is back playing after a serious knee injury.

Massey almost emulated Chelsea against Barcelona because they had captain Rosie Missen sent off for a dangerous tackle after just seven minutes and Waterside scored from the resultant penalty.

That left Massey to play 83 minutes with 10 women; but it didn't daunt them.

They clawed back from 2-1 down to 2-2 at halftime.

Coach Simon Lees changed the formation for the second half and within seven minutes they had scored another three.

The other goals were scored by Jane Barnett (2) and Rhonda Bridges. Midfielder Leah Gallie, who had to drop back to Missen's centre-back position, was player of the day.

Manawatu Standard