Thursday, May 3
* Hans Welling: New Paintings. Daily until Tuesday. Venue: Square Edge. Time: 9am.
* Feilding & District Art Society Art Awards. Today, Friday, Saturday, 10am, Sunday 1pm, Tuesday and Wednesday 10am. An exhibition of quality paintings - oils and acrilics, watercolours, pastels, and other painting and drawing mediums. For more information phone 323 2323. Venue: Feilding & District Art Centre. Time: 10am. Admission: Gold coin entry, $1.
* Te Manawa Tots: Term 2. Today and Friday. Enjoy a full term of sessions designed for parents and their young children to share together. Sessions are held on Thursdays and Fridays (Friday repeat sessions). Full term cost: $30. Cost covers all materials over the full term. Bookings essential, phone 355 5000. Venue: Te Manawa Art Gallery. Time: 10am.
* Know Your Neighbour: Argentina. A popular talk series co-hosted by Settlement Support Manawatu. Locals from other countries share elements of their culture. Berenice Moens de Hase will talk about her journey to New Zealand and a little about her culture. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 12pm.
* Future Fern Netball Umpiring. Fun and Informative sessions to assist you in your umpiring duties in 2012. The sessions are theory only. To register please email email@example.com or phone 350 2963. Gold coin donation. Venue: Vautier Park. Time: 6pm.
* Science Cafe. Enjoy refreshments as you join an open discussion about some of the pressing science-related issues in 2012. Free (cash bar available). Venue: Te Manawa Art Gallery. Time: 6.30pm.
* Ladies Night. Every Thursday at Mt Cue Bar with local DJ Phatfish. Venue: Mr Cue. Time: 7pm.
* Oil Painting Course - The Properties of Oil Paint. Tutor: Kirsty Porter. Exploring the facets of opacity, sheen, colour, tint, glazes and texture possible with oil paint. A must-do course for those wishing to start their adventures in oil painting, better understand the medium, or those wishing to broaden their mark-making horizons. Six Thursday evenings, today till June 7, 7-9pm. Enrolments at Ochre Art Supplies, 49 The Square, Palmerston North Open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday; 9am-2pm Saturday. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 7pm. Admission: GA, $120.
* Yr 6/Intermediate Netball Umpiring. Sessions are theory only. To register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 06 350 2963. Gold coin donation. Venue: Vautier Park. Time: 7pm.
* Argentine Tango - Beginners Course. An eight week block of step-by-step lessons that introduce the rhythm and basic steps of Argentine tango. This course focuses on close embrace, musicality, navigation and the enjoyment of social dancing. Venue: St David's Presbyterian Church. Time: 7.30pm. Admission: Per person, $70; Per pair (one leader/one follower), $125.
* You Can Always Hand Them Back - A Show About Grandparents. World premiere. Daily except Monday and Tuesday. Sunday at 5pm, Wednesday 6.30pm. By Roger Hall, with Music and lyrics by Peter Skellern. You Can Always Hand Them Back covers the different stages of being a grandparent. This show brings to light all the little pleasures and smelly surprises of the joys of grandparenting. Running time is approximately two hours including an interval. Venue: Centrepoint Theatre. Time: 8pm. Admission: Adult, $37; Community Service Card holders, $25; Under 30s, $27; Students with ID, $15; Seniors, $25; Dinner and show (with participating restaurants), $65.
Friday, May 4
* Manfeild Test Day. For competition cars and motorcycles. Gates open at 8am - entrance via Rata Street. Cost is $100 (per vehicle) which can be paid when signing in. For car specs and further information please visit our website. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 8am. Admission: Per vehicle, $100.
* Feilding Farmers Market. Venue: Manchester Square. Time: 9am.
* Backyard League. Learn the fundamentals through skills, drills and mini games. 5-12 year old boys and girls, 4pm-5.30pm every Friday throughout terms two and three. No need to pre-register. Just $25 for 20 weeks or $2 per session For more Information go to nzrl.co.nz/mcz or phone Kelly, 021 272 6975. Venue: Arena Manawatu (back fields). Time: 4pm. Admission: Per session, $2; Season payment, $25.
* Craft Wars II. Join Alt.Shift.Craft in the City Library for their first market of the year. An evening event with alternative craft and lively music. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 6pm.
* RoadSide Theory & Guests. Wellington's metalcore band RoadSide Theory. Venue: The Royal. Time: 8.30pm.
* Black Chrome, Bitchslap, Boss Christ & Methadonnas. Doors open at 9pm, first band, 9.30pm. Venue: The Royal. Time: 9pm. Admission: General admission, $5.
Saturday, May 5
* Victoria Motorcycle Club - Actrix Winter Series. Formula 1, 2, Superlite, Ultralite, 125GP, Pro Twin, Post Classics, 90s Carbies and Clubmans. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 7am.
* Garden Festival. Today and Sunday. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 9am. Admission: Door sales, $10.
* Saturday Art Classes: Term 2. A fun relaxed art class for kids where they can experience using a variety of media and enhance their artistic abilities. 6-8 years, $85, 9am-10; 9-11 years, $90, 10.15-11.30am. Costs cover all materials over a full term. Venue: Te Manawa Art Gallery. Time: 9am.
* Rangiotu Hall Fair. Today and Sunday. Plant and craft fair with live alpacas in attendance. Free entry. Phone 329 6778. Venue: Rangiotu Memorial Hall. Time: 10am.
* Groove Method Fitness Class. Develop functional strength, increase cardiovascular endurance, improve flexibility, balance and coordination and reduce stress (all while dancing). It involves really simple steps which you then move in your own way. No dance experience or ability required. Venue: Square Edge. Time: 10.30am. Admission: Koha/donation.
* Cinco De Mayo Fiesta. Come dressed in your best Mexican attire. Venue: El Gusto Mexican Cantina. Time: 6pm.
* Placemakers Superstock Series - Grand Final. Fireworks display included. Venue: Arena Manawatu. Time: 6pm. Admission: Adult (16 years and over), $25; Children (8-15 years), $10; Family (2A + 4C), $60; Under 7 years free.
* May Day Concert 2012. Featuring The Devil's Own. This trio from Tasmania (Peter Hicks, Annie Parsell and Mathew Woolley) bring amazing harmonies and skilful musicianship to their songs of struggle, protest and joy. Venue: Regent on Broadway. Time: 7.30pm. Admission: Entry by donation, $5; Children under 16, free.
* Old-Time and Social Dancing. Enjoy an evening of old-time social dancing. Cost includes supper. Venue: Newbury Hall. Time: 7.30pm. Admission: General admission, $7.
* Tape Invasion. Radio Control 99.4FM and (i)Ironsides Engineering present a night at the electronic and indie frontier. Venue: The Badcave. Time: 8pm.
Sunday, May 6
* Victoria Motorcycle Club - Actrix Winter Series. The biggest winter motorcycle series. Formula 1, 2, Superlite, Ultralite, 125GP, Pro Twin, Post Classics, 90s Carbies and Clubmans. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 7am.
* Sanson Market. Held every Sunday, featuring over 30 stalls. Everyone welcome. Venue: Manawatu Sanson. Time: 8am.
* Coaching with Confidence - Netball. A course with Yvonne Willering aimed at senior secondary school, club and age group rep coaches. Phone 350 2963 or email email@example.com for further details. Venue: St Peter's College. Time: 9.45am. Admission: GA, $30.
* Palmerston North Cat Club Show. Pedigree, domestic (moggies) and companion cats will be on display, all competing for the award of Supreme cat in show. There will be many different breeds exhibited from the giant long haired Maine Coones and Norwegian Forest Cats to the sleek and slinky short haired breeds such as the Siamese and Burmese. Stalls selling pet products and crafts and a cuddle corner run by the SPCA. Venue: Barber Hall. Time: 10am. Admission: Adult, $4; Family, $8; Children, $2.
* Ian McKellen on Stage - with Shakespeare, Tolkien and You. Venue: Centrepoint Theatre. Time: 1pm. Admission: Adult, $50; Student/child, $25.
* The Coach House Museum Official Opening. Coach House Museum is reopening in it's new premises in South Street. Opening at 2pm, public welcome from 10am-4pm. Venue: The Coach House Horse Drawn Era Museum, Bowen St, Feilding. Time: 2pm. Admission: Entry, $10.
* Smash Hits 70's:The Hits of the New Seekers and Paper Lace. Some of the most iconic 70's songs of all time, performed live by the singers who made them famous so many years ago: The New Seekers' Eve Graham and Paper Lace's Philip Wright. For full event and ticketing information see stetsongroup.com or thecoast.net.nz. Venue: Regent on Broadway. Time: 7.30pm. Admission: A Reserve, $75; B Reserve, $70; Groups 10 + and Pensioners, $65.
Monday, May 7
* Holden Driver Training. New Zealand's premier advanced driver training service providers. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 8am.
* 400kw Holden V8 Race Drive Experience. Phone: (0800) DRIVE1 (374831). Venue: Manfeild. Time: 9am. Admission: Drive1 Option, $499; 2Drive Option, $799.
* Holden V8 Hot Laps. Phone: (0800) DRIVE1 (374831). Venue: Manfeild. Time: 9am. Admission: 2 Flying Laps, $249; 3 Flying Laps, $299; 5 Flying Laps, $399.
* Baby Signs - Sign, Say & Play Classes. Want to teach your baby to sign in a fun, fully interactive, educational environment? Come and enrol in our course of six 45 minute classes. Each class has been cleverly structured to provide you with an in depth knowledge of the Baby Signs Programme, together with well thought through theme based games, songs, books and activities to promote the memory of signs. Venue: Baby Signs, 24 Wood Street. Time: 9.30am. Admission: Sign, Say & Play, $70.
* Managing Risks Investment Seminar. Learn how easy it is to manage risks and improve your chances for a better outcome. The session is part of a NZ-wide educational seminar series by SuperLife Limited, a specialist provider of superannuation and KiwiSaver, and will include an update on the state of the investment markets and their outlook over the next 12 months. Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes. Free. Refreshments served 30 minutes before the seminar. Venue: Hotel Coachman. Time: 5.30pm.
* Painting with Acrylics. Tutor: Kirsty Porter. Acrylic paint is a quick-drying medium in a range of opacities that allows the student unlimited flexibility when faced with making a painting. Come and explore the realm of acrylic paint with this entry-level course looking at colour mixing, painting technique, composition and process and then explore your own creativity with a range of stimulating projects. Six Monday nights, today till June 11, 7pm to 9pm. Enrolments at Ochre Art Supplies, 49 The Square, Palmerston North. Open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday, 9am-2pm Saturday. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 7pm. Admission: GA, $120.
Tuesday, May 8
* National Advanced Driving Training. All aspects of driver training, from tyre maintenance to emergency skills, accident avoidance and defensive driving techniques as well as a session on the Road Code. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 8am.
* Painting Course - Introduction to Watercolours. Guest tutor: Adrienne Whitehead. A one-off, entry-level watercolour course for Ochre Art School. Students will explore basic skies, trees, simple landscapes, floral painting and wet-in-wet technique, in realism and abstract, finding shapes within forms and being creative with colour. Six Tuesday afternoons till May 29, 1pm to 3pm. Enrolments at Ochre Art Supplies, 49 The Square, Palmerston North. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 1pm. Admission: GA, $120.
* Griffin Shield - Turbo Touch. A multi-sport challenge held throughout the year with points accumulating so that at the end of the fifth league, an overall winner will get guardianship of the Griffin Shield and a workplace shout or barbecue pack. You can register for one or all the leagues. For more information on how to register email firstname.lastname@example.org. Limited spaces. Venue: Massey University - Hokowhitu Campus. Time: 6pm.
* Manawatu Bonsai Meeting. Meetings are on the second Tuesday of each month to share information and experience the art of bonsai. Learn how to create a bonsai from a suitable nursery tree or backyard bush. Meetings generally start with a display table of bonsai trees then a workshop on our trees follows. Sometimes a bonsai topic is discussed. Subscription for the year costs $27 plus $2 per meeting. Email: email@example.com. Venue: Community Leisure Centre. Time: 7pm.
* Tuesday Doubles. Every Tuesday from 7.30pm. $15 per person - teams of two players (limited to 14 teams). Fun social bowling event. For beginners to advanced bowlers. Make your own team or come as an individual. Venue: Bowlarama. Time: 7.30pm.
Wednesday, May 9
* Manawatu Home Birth Association Get Together. The Manawatu Home Birth Association meets once a month alternating between morning and afternoon get-togethers. Information and support for families planning to birth their babies at home, in the Manawatu. Phone 356 BABY (leave message). Venue: Community Birth Services, Level 2, Westside Chambers, Palmerston North. Time: 1.30pm.
* Stars on Pars Night Golf. Teams of eight (consisting of four players and four spotters) will play an Ambrose tournament, the fairways and greens will be highlighted with glowsticks and lit strategically, high quality fluorescent balls are supplied to each team as part of the admission fee. Teams will be supplied with hot food and beverages at different stages on the course followed by dinner and prizegiving. Venue: Feilding Golf Club. Time: 6.30pm.
* Advanced Portraiture Course. Life Drawing Detail: Portraiture - Basic. Tutor Maho Murakami. An advanced class for students who have completed the Basic Portraiture course. Students will learn aspects of drawing the face in profile, and in upward and downward positions. Two Wednesday evenings, today and May 16, 7pm-9pm. Enrolments at Ochre Art Supplies, 49 The Square, Palmerston North. Open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday, 9am-2pm Saturday. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 7pm. Admission: GA, $45.
* Open Mic Nights. A night of music with PA, guitars, congos, maracas all supplied, or you can bring down your own instruments. Venue: Ashhurst Inn. Time: 7pm.
- © Fairfax NZ News