Manawatu Diary May 17 - 23
Thursday, May 17
* Holden Driver Training. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 8am.
* 400kw Holden V8 Race Drive Experience. Phone: (0800) DRIVE1 (374831). Venue: Manfeild. Time: 9am. Admission: Drive1 Option, $499; 2Drive Option, $799.
* Holden V8 Hot Laps. Phone: (0800) DRIVE1 (374831). Venue: Manfeild. Time: 9am. Admission: 2 Flying Laps, $249; 3 Flying Laps, $299; 5 Flying Laps, $399.
* Feilding & District Art Society Art Awards. Today and Friday. An exhibition of quality paintings - oils and acrilics, watercolours, pastels, and other painting and drawing mediums. For more information phone 323 2323. Venue: Feilding & District Art Centre. Time: 10am. Admission: Gold coin entry, $1.
* Morning Book Group. Morning book group - meets on the third Thursday of the month (except January) at 10am. Participants read around a monthly theme. The theme for May 2012 is European Writing. For more information contact Jill Pearcey, Fiction Librarian on 351 4100. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 10am.
* Te Manawa Tots: Term 2. Today and Friday. Enjoy a full term of sessions designed for parents and their young children to share together. Sessions are held on Thursdays and Fridays (Friday repeat sessions). Full term cost: $30. Cost covers all materials over the full term. Bookings essential, phone 355 5000. Venue: Te Manawa Art Gallery. Time: 10am.
* Gamebird Food Festival. Daily except Sunday. Saturday at 5pm. Venue: Nero Restaurant. Time: 11am.
* Reel Earth: Festival events. Runs till May 19. Today includes Parent and Baby Session. Feature film: The Diaper Dilemma, Jacqueline Farmer, France, 2011. Venue: Downtown Cinemas. Time: 11am.
* Secondary School Netball Umpiring. Fun and informative sessions to assist you in your umpiring duties in 2012. The sessions are theory only. To register, please email email@example.com or phone 350 2963. Gold coin donation. Venue: Vautier Park. Time: 6pm.
* A Month of Sundays. Today, Saturday and Sunday. Set in a country rest home, the story revolves around two residents: Cooper, who has voluntarily left his family to avoid the indignity of depending on them, and his friend Aylott, who are both on the verge of geriatric embarrassment. 6.30pm dinner, 8pm show. Matinee 3.15pm Sunday. Phone 323 5051 to book. Venue: Feilding Little Theatre. Time: 6.30pm. Admission: Show only, $18; Dinner & show, $35.
* Club Netball Umpiring. Sessions are theory only. To register please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 350 2963. Gold coin donation. Venue: Vautier Park. Time: 7pm.
* Oil Painting Course - The Properties of Oil Paint. Tutor: Kirsty Porter. Exploring the facets of opacity, sheen, colour, tint, glazes and texture possible with oil paint. A must-do course for those wishing to start their adventures in oil painting, better understand the medium, or those wishing to broaden their mark-making horizons. Six Thursday evenings, today till June 7, 7-9pm. Enrolments at Ochre Art Supplies, 49 The Square, Palmerston North Open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday; 9am-2pm Saturday. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 7pm. Admission: GA, $120.
* Argentine Tango - Beginners Course. An eight week block of step-by-step lessons that introduce the rhythm and basic steps of Argentine tango. This course focuses on close embrace, musicality, navigation and the enjoyment of social dancing. Venue: St David's Presbyterian Church. Time: 7.30pm. Admission: Per person, $70; Per pair (one leader/one follower), $125.
* Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies. Today, Friday and Saturday. To open its 2012 season, Massey University Drama Society presents, Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies. For bookings and more information: email@example.com or phone 027 618 5387. Venue: Massey University - Hokowhitu Campus. Time: 7.30pm. Admission: Concession - $10; Waged, $15.
* The History Boys. Today, Friday and Saturday. Alan Bennett's history making comedy play comes to Palmerston North for a strictly limited season. Set in a fictional English Grammar School this hilarious play charts the lives of a group of colourful pupils and the three teachers who desperately attempt to prepare them for their university entrance exams. Venue: Globe Theatre. Time: 8pm. Admission: Adult, $25; Child, $22.50; Student, $22.50; Senior citizen, $22.50; Unemployed, $22.50.
* You Can Always Hand Them Back - A Show About Grandparents. World premiere. Daily except Monday and Tuesday. Sunday at 5pm, Wednesday 6.30pm. By Roger Hall, with Music and lyrics by Peter Skellern. You Can Always Hand Them Back covers the different stages of being a grandparent. This show brings to light all the little pleasures and smelly surprises of the joys of grandparenting. Running time is approximately two hours including an interval. Venue: Centrepoint Theatre. Time: 8pm. Admission: Adult, $37; Community Service Card holders, $25; Under 30s, $27; Students with ID, $15; Seniors, $25; Dinner and show (with participating restaurants), $65.
Friday, May 18
* Moto TT. These track days are designed to be a fun, non-competitive environment for you to improve your bike handling and riding skills. Designed to cater for all riders, from learners to people born on two wheels. Riders are split into 4 groups depending on their experience and ability. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details or visit motott.co.nz. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 8am.
* Feilding Farmers Market. Venue: Manchester Square. Time: 9am.
* Sport Manawatu Regional Sports Conference. Venue: Massey University Sport & Rugby Institute, Albany Drive. Time: 9am. Admission: Student, $10; Standard, $20.
* Landscape Painting Course - Composition and Production. Tutor: Kirsty Porter. A six-week course. Walk through the basics of landscape painting: composition, proportion, perspective, basic oil paint technique, colour theory and how to tackle the production aspect of painting. Suitable for beginners and those wishing to extent their current practice. Six Friday evenings, 7-9pm, today till June 22. Enrolments at Ochre Art Supplies, 49 The Square, Palmerston North. Open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday; 9am-2pm Saturday. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 10am. Admission: GA, $120.
* Backyard League. Learn the fundamentals through skills, drills and mini games. 5-12 year old boys and girls, 4pm-5.30pm every Friday throughout terms two and three. No need to pre-register. Just $25 for 20 weeks or $2 per session For more Information go to nzrl.co.nz/mcz or phone Kelly, 021 272 6975. Venue: Arena Manawatu (back fields). Time: 4pm. Admission: Per session, $2; Season payment, $25.
* Sea Fever launch with Angela Meyer. Celebrate with ex-Palmerston North woman Angela Meyer as she launches her book Sea Fever: from First Mate to First Date. Angela Meyer shows you how to survive and stay sane on a yacht and offers sharp observations and advice about tackling life. 6.30pm drinks, 7pm talk. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 6.30pm.
* Friday Night Painting Club/Open Studio. Tutor, Kirsty Porter. Weekly ongoing ''open studio'' sessions where everyone can work on personal or study projects of their choice in an art school environment with an encouraging and informative tutor on hand, and in the company of other students and artists. There will also be some active dialogue about different art topics. Open to all beginners, students and more experienced artists. Please note: Only cartridge paper, pencils and brushes are supplied. Students need to bring their own materials for their chosen projects, but get 10 percent off all purchases at Ochre Art Supplies. Enrolments and enquiries at Ochre Art Supplies, 355 8045, open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday, 9am-2pm Saturdays. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 7pm. Admission: General admission (4 sessions), $80.
* Hunters and Gatherers 30+ Ball. Entertainment by Tom and live DJ. Dress code formal black tie (kilts welcome). Tickets include supper. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 7pm. Admission: Prepaid, $60; Door sales, $70.
* Trivia Quiz Challenge. Form a team and enter in the Trivia Quiz Challenge. Bookings essential. Phone the school office on 323 6687 or email email@example.com. Venue: Lytton Street School. Time: 7pm. Admission: Per person, $10. Team of up to six, $40.
* Fourtunate & Adeaze Tour. Venue: Denbigh Hotel, Feilding. Time: 9pm. Admission: Presale, $25; Doorsale, $35; Two for $40 Double Pass, $40.
Saturday, May 19
* CD Welsh and Pony Cob and Foal Show. The fourth annual foal show. The all breeds foal show is for competitors to compete from the Central District region to compete showing their foals. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 8am.
* HSV Club - Manfeild Sprint Weekend. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 9am.
* Saturday Art Classes: Term 2. A fun relaxed art class for kids where they can experience using a variety of media and enhance their artistic abilities. 6-8 years, $85, 9am-10; 9-11 years, $90, 10.15-11.30am. Costs cover all materials over a full term. Venue: Te Manawa Art Gallery. Time: 9am.
* 138th James Bull Rangitikei Gold Cup Day. First race at 11.40am. No BYO. Hospitality packages are available for further information phone 356 4940 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Venue: Awapuni Racecourse. Time: 11.15am.
* 2nd Manawatu SPCA Poker Fundraiser 2012. Guaranteed prizes for the top eight players. Spot prizes. Hot and cold food available to buy, bar open. Venue: Manawatu Darts Association Hall, Tremaine Ave. Time: 7pm. Admission: SPCA Poker, $10.
* Bachelor and Spinster Ball. Live music from Tom and a live DJ. Formal black tie, no tie no entry. Tickets include supper. Bus leaves Speights Ale House at 7pm and will return to Palmerston North at 1am. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 7pm. Admission: Prepaid, $55; Door sale, $70.
* Barn Dance. A great family night out, bring a plate and a drink. All funds raised go to the Ashhurst Scout and Cub group. For more information phone 326 8223. Venue: Ashhurst Village Valley Centre. Time: 7pm. Admission: Adult, $10; Child, $5; Family, $25.
* Does Morality Require God? Dr Gerald Harrison. Dr Gerald Harrison is a lecturer in philosophy at Massey University. He has research interests in ethics and the metaphysics of free will. Venue: Theosophical Society Hall. Time: 7.30pm. Admission: General admission, $5; Members, $2.
* Autozamm, November Zulu, Invader Cain. Three of the finest rock bands are armed with new releases and joining forces for the first time to hit the road this May. Venue: The Royal. Time: 8pm. Admission: General admission, $10.
* Dirt Box Charlie. Venue: The Celtic Inn. Time: 9pm.
Sunday, May 20
* FAHS Dressage and Show Jumping Show. Feilding Ag High School Fundraiser Show. Full schedule can be found at the website. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 8am.
* Laskeys Manfeild 6 Hour Challenge. An endurance event for team or individuals. Can you cycle for six hours? Test your staying power on a bike around the Manfeild race circuit. See Bike Manawatu for more details. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 8am. Admission: Individual, $40; Team, $80; School team, $40; Tandem bike, $60.
* Sanson Market. Held every Sunday, featuring over 30 stalls. Everyone welcome. Venue: Manawatu Sanson. Time: 8am.
* Duathlon Winter Series No 1 and Manawatu SST Champs 2012. Run by the Manawatu Triathlon Club. Three distances available - short, medium and long. A long course triathlon available for this one only. Family orientated club. Registration 8am, race, 9am. Event open to everyone. Spot prizes to be won on the day and a series draw for a major prize. Visit website for more information. This is also the Manawatu Inter Secondary School Triathlon Championships 2012 - Under 19 and Under 16 years - registration 8am. Phone Hamish Meacheam, (Sport Manawatu) on 357 5349 for details. Venue: Linton Army Camp. Time: 9am. Admission: Child, $10; Teams, $15; Adult non members, $15.
* Manawatu@Heart 12th Heart Stopper Challenge. Teams of four to six people take the plunge into a spa pool filled with icy water for five minutes. The inspiration is every year 450 children undergo open heart surgery in New Zealand. A fun event with a free sausage and hot soup given to all participants. Bouncy castle, pink panther slide, face painting and games for the kids and young hearted. There is no entry fee to participate in this event, but we ask that each team member pledges to raise $100 to support the work of @Heart in the Manawatu region. Venue: The Square. Time: 10am.
* Grasshoppers Tennis Winter Series, first event, 1pm to 2.30pm. Tournament is for five to 12 year olds. First timers, and beginner players all welcome. Entry fee of $10 per player to be paid on the day. To register phone Kurt on 027 4306215 or email email@example.com. Venue: Feilding Tennis Club. Time: 1pm.
* Palmerston North Interfaith Group. Talk by Sister Milada of Missionaries of Charity (Mother Teresa's Order). Sister Milada will speak of her many years working and living with Mother Teresa. Venue: Community Leisure Centre. Time: 2.30pm. Admission free.
* One Eighty. An energetic evening service for the whole community. Come, praise and learn more about God. Bring your friends and family along. Phone Pastor Allen Hince on 323 5063. Coffee and cake to follow. Venue: Feilding Baptist Church. Time: 6pm.
Monday, May 21
* Bernard Rider Training. Rider training day, especially suitable for novice track users. Coaching available all day. Light lunch supplied. Phone Lloyd Morgan on 027 204 0810. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 8am.
* Baby Signs - Sign, Say & Play Classes. Want to teach your baby to sign in a fun, fully interactive, educational environment? Come and enrol in our course of six 45 minute classes. Each class has been cleverly structured to provide you with an in depth knowledge of the Baby Signs Programme, together with well thought through theme based games, songs, books and activities to promote the memory of signs. Venue: Baby Signs, 24 Wood Street. Time: 9.30am. Admission: Sign, Say & Play, $70.
* The Best of British. Take Gilbert and Sullivan, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Irish ditties, lyrical Welsh melodies, stirring Scottish ballads, beloved English folk songs and combine them into a celebration of the Best of British. Tickets include lunch with the artists. Concession and group discounts available. Bookings essential, phone 0508 266 237. Venue: Lifechurch. Time: 11am. Admission: Group 10+, $27; Group 30+, $26; Casual booking, $30; Concession (five or more Operatunity concerts), $27.
* Stage Challenge 2012. Venue: Regent on Broadway. Time: 6.30pm. Admission: Adult, $33; Child (1-12 years), $27.
* Painting with Acrylics. Tutor: Kirsty Porter. Explore the realm of acrylic paint with this entry-level course looking at colour mixing, painting technique, composition and process and then explore your own creativity with a range of stimulating projects designed to stretch your artistic glands. Six Monday nights, today till June 11, 7pm to 9pm. Enrolments at Ochre Art Supplies, 49 The Square, Palmerston North. Open 9am to 5pm, Monday-Friday; 9am-2pm Saturday. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 7pm. Admission: GA, $120.
Tuesday, May 22
* Patchwork and Quilting Exhibition. Today and tomorrow. Feilding Kowhai Patchwork Quilters Club show some of their recently completed quilts. For more information phone 323 2323. Venue: Feilding & District Art Centre. Time: 10am. Admission: Gold coin donation, $2.
* Dementia Information Sessions. Dementia information/education sessions for family members. Today, Session 4: Challenging behaviours. May 29, Session 5: Communication and residential care. June 5, Session 6: End stage dementia, death and grief. Phone Alzheimer's Manawatu on 357 9539 to book a place. Venue: St John Ambulance Hall, Feilding. Time: 1pm.
* Painting Course - Introduction to Watercolours. Guest tutor: Adrienne Whitehead. A one-off, entry-level watercolour course for Ochre Art School. Students will explore basic skies, trees, simple landscapes, floral painting and wet-in-wet technique, in realism and abstract, finding shapes within forms and being creative with colour. Six Tuesday afternoons till May 29, 1pm to 3pm. Enrolments at Ochre Art Supplies, 49 The Square, Palmerston North. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 1pm. Admission: GA, $120.
* Griffin Shield - Turbo Touch. A multi-sport challenge held throughout the year with points accumulating so that at the end of the fifth league, an overall winner will get guardianship of the Griffin Shield and a workplace shout or barbecue pack. You can register for one or all the leagues. For more information on how to register email firstname.lastname@example.org. Limited spaces. Venue: Massey University - Hokowhitu Campus. Time: 6pm.
* Dickens' Women starring Miriam Margolyes. Miriam Margolyes celebrates Charles Dickens' 200th anniversary with her tour of Dickens' Women. Miriam plays 23 different characters, both men and women. They tell the stories of characters in Dickens' books. Venue: Regent on Broadway. Time: 7.30pm. Admission: From $49.
Wednesday, May 23
* Balancing Pleasure and Achievement in your Life. A half day workshop facilitated by Chris Skellett, Clinical Psychologist, and based on his recently released book When Happiness is not Enough. This book looks at how our lifestyle can become compromised by an excessive focus on easy, indulgent pleasure, or else an excessive drive towards achievement and success. This workshop is open to anyone interested in lifestyle balance, providing the opportunity to reflect on our personal lifestyles, and whether there are any specific changes that we need to make. Venue: Kingsgate Hotel. Time: 1pm. Admission: GA, $115.
* Blue Smoke to Blue Beat: Chris Bourke and Nick Bollinger. The Lost History of New Zealand Pop - a musical conversation with Nick Bollinger and Chris Bourke. Between them, Chris Bourke and Nick Bollinger have been exploring the rich history of New Zealand pop music through their research and writing. In this entertaining talk, they share their discoveries and their passions: lost classics, missed opportunities and beloved local talents. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 5.30pm.
* Figure Drawing Course - Male and female. Tutor: Maho Murakami. A three-week figure drawing class covering the principles of drawing the male and female human frame in sitting, standing and lying poses, studying balance and structure and working from photographs. Three Wednesday evenings, today, May 30 and June 6, 7 to 9pm. Enrolments at Ochre Art Supplies, 49 The Square, Palmerston North, open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday; 9am-2pm Saturday. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 7pm. Admission: GA, $70.
* Open Mic Nights. PA, guitars, congos, maracas all supplied, or bring your own instruments. Venue: Ashhurst Inn. Time: 7pm.
* The Comedy Convoy. Venue: Regent on Broadway. Time: 8pm. Admission: Group (6+), $39.50; ticket, $45.