Thursday, June 28
* Pasifika Fusion 2012. This Pacific Island Secondary School Cultural Festival is an annual event in its 8th (successful) year. The theme this year is Threats to the Pacific, issues pertaining to Pacific people in NZ or the islands (economics, political, language, traditions, environmental, etc). Venue: Regent on Broadway. Time: 6pm. Admission: Pasifika Fusion evening concert, $2.
* Mata Toi. Daily except Wednesday. Matariki celebration of visual and performance art. With Regan Balzar, Frances Goulton and Peter Butler. Venue: Square Edge. Time: 9am.
* Eric Brew: Aspects of Transition. Daily except Sunday. In its continuing role to present and celebrate work by regional artists, Taylor-Jensen Fine Arts hosts an exhibition by prolific Feilding artist Eric Brew. His latest works are a diverse collection of paintings that illustrate the many and varied aspects of art that have tempted and attracted this talented artist during the last several years. Venue: Taylor-Jensen Fine Arts. Time: 10am.
* Kreative Kids Exhibition. Today, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Artworks from children attending after-school sessions. For more information phone 323 2323. Venue: Feilding & District Art Centre. Time: 10am. Admission: Gold coin donation, $2.
* Mission Accomplished. Today and Friday. Security scanners, signed jerseys and corner flags, championship medals and traffic management plans are just some of the unique items on display at the New Zealand Rugby Museum's newly opened exhibition, Mission Accomplished: New Zealand's Rugby World Cup 2011 Legacy. Comprising five cabinets filled with items emphasising the enormity and excitement of an event that captured the world-wide attention of millions of rugby supporters and observers, the exhibition is testament to a moment in history never likely to be experienced in New Zealand again. Venue: New Zealand Rugby Museum. Time: 10am. Admission: Adult, $12.50; Child, $5; Families, $30.
* S+ART: the convergence of science, technology and art. Today, Friday, Saturday. Art and science may seem like oil and water - could two disciplines be more different? Yet the bringing together of these seemingly disparate disciplines is an initiative set to be fostered by S+ART, a concept recently launched in Palmerston North City to promote the convergence of science, technology and art. Venue: Zimmerman Contemporary Art Gallery. Time: 10am.
* Te Manawa Tots: Term 2. Today and Friday. Enjoy a full term of sessions designed for parents and their young children to share together. Sessions are held on Thursdays and Fridays (Friday repeat sessions). Full term cost: $30. Cost covers all materials over the full term. Bookings essential, phone 355 5000. Venue: Te Manawa Art Gallery. Time: 10am.
* Backyard League. Today and Friday. No need to pre-register 5-12 year old boys and girls. Learn the fundamentals through skills, drills and mini games. Runs for 10 weeks. For more information, visit the website. Phone Lisa on 027 257 1707. Venue: Arena Manawatu. Time: 4pm. Admission: Per session, $2.
* Art Classes - Realism in Coloured Pencil. Learn the art of rendering images in realism using Polychromos oil-based pencils. Focusing on birdlife and nature photographs, Scott Meyers will take students step by step through the processes to achieve a realistic portrayal of the image. A four-week course. Enrol at Ochre Art Supplies, ground floor, Square Edge, 49 The Square. For more information or a current course programme, phone 355 8045, email@example.com. All courses are also posted on the Ochre Art Supplies website. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 7pm. Admission: General admission, $90.
* Latin American Film Festival: Estomago - A Gastronomic Story. (Brazil). A multi-international-award-winning fable of power, sex and cooking. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 7pm. Admission: Gold coin entry, $2.
* Quiz Night. Featuring general knowledge questions from a range of categories. Teams are encouraged to come dressed to a theme with a team name. Fun prizes available for first, second and best team spirit. Cash bar available. Venue: Te Manawa Art Gallery. Time: 7pm. Admission: Quiz night, $5.
* Enlightenment. By Shelagh Stephenson. Today, Friday and Saturday, 8pm; Sunday, 5pm; Wednesday, 6.30pm. New Zealand premiere. When Lia and Nick's son disappears at the time of the Bali bombings in 1992, all they have is an email that he was thinking of going to Jakarta, leaving them with their own grief and uncertainty. Running time is approximately two hours including an interval. Venue: Centrepoint Theatre. Time: 8pm. Admission: Adult, $37; Community Service Card holders, $25; Under 30s, $27; Students with ID, $15; Seniors, $25; Dinner & show (with participating restaurants), $65.
Friday, June 29.
* Feilding Farmers Market. Venue: Manchester Square. Time: 9am.
* Friday Night Painting Club/Open Studio. Tutor, Kirsty Porter. Weekly ongoing ``open studio'' sessions where everyone can work on personal or study projects of their choice in an art school environment with an encouraging and informative tutor on hand, and in the company of other students and artists. There will also be some active dialogue about different art topics. Open to all beginners, students and more experienced artists. Please note: Only cartridge paper, pencils and brushes are supplied. Students need to bring their own materials for their chosen projects, but get 10 percent off all purchases at Ochre Art Supplies. Enrolments and enquiries at Ochre Art Supplies, 355 8045, open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday, 9am-2pm Saturdays. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 7pm. Admission: General admission (4 sessions), $80.
* Fuelset - Sounds of a Dying Seagull Album Release Tour. Fuelset will be headlining the night, with support from Suppression, Bloodspray For Politics, Cage Demise. Doors open 8pm, door sales at $10, plus concessions for those who buy/bought the album. Venue: The Royal. Time: 8pm. Admission: General admission, $10.
* Jim Beam Battle Of The Bands. Venue: Murphy's Law. Time: 9.30pm.
Saturday, June 30
* Saturday Art Classes: Term 2. A fun relaxed art class for kids where they can experience using a variety of media and enhance their artistic abilities. 6-8 years, $85, 9am-10; 9-11 years, $90, 10.15-11.30am. Costs cover all materials over a full term. Venue: Te Manawa Art Gallery. Time: 9am.
* Groove Method Fitness Class. Develop functional strength, increase cardiovascular endurance, improve flexibility, balance and coordination and reduce stress (all while dancing). It involves really simple steps which you then move in your own way. No dance experience or ability required. Venue: Square Edge. Time: 10.30am. Admission: Koha/donation. Concession card, 10 classes, $80; Concession card, five classes, $45; Casual rate,$10.
* Youth Groove. Venue: Youth Space. Time: 3pm.
* Ignition Dance Party. Dance party for all 14-19 year olds. Prizes. Alcohol and drug free event. Venue: Youth Space. Time: 7pm. Admission: General admission, $2.
* Latin American Film Festival:To The Sea. (Mexico). A man and his son journey to the Banco Chinchorro, part of the second largest coral reef on the planet. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 7pm. Admission: Gold coin entry, $2.
Sunday, July 1
* Manawatu Striders - Run/Walk Winter Series. Today and July 22. 3km, 5km, 10km and 15km run/walk options, starting from the Manawaroa Pavilion within Ongley Park behind the Esplanade Cafe. The July 22 event also incorporates the Manawatu/Wanganui Centre Champs. Walkers starting at 9am, runners 9.30am. A build up to the Athletic NZ Half Marathon Championships in August. For more information visit: manawatustriders.org.nz, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone Alister on 027 2121188 or 06 3537175. Venue: Ongley Park. Time: 9am. Admission: Family, $12; Individual, $7; Striders members, $5; Individual, pre enter all 3 events, $15; Family, pre enter all 3 events, $30; Striders members, pre enter all 3 events, $10.
* 2012 Term 2 Grasshoppers Tournament Tri Series. Phone Jared Kemsley, Tennis Development Officer Tennis Manawatu on 350 2966 or 021 499 155; email@example.com for any general enquires. To get a registration form go to the Tennis Manawatu Website or contact Jared. Venue: Manawatu Lawn Tennis Club. Time: 11am.
* Crank It Cycles Winter MTB Series. A fun, family-orientated event series. Something for everyone including beginners, children, weekend warriors and reasonably serious racers. All welcome. Registration: 12.30-1.15pm; Race briefing: 1.15pm; Race start: 1.30pm. Contact: Phil S on 027 475 3665. Venue: Brandon Hall Forest, Bulls. Time: 12pm. Admission: Members, $2; Non-members, $5.
* Henpicked CD Release Tour. Venue: Murray's Irish Bar. Time: 1pm. Admission: Koha.
Monday, July 2
* Central Football Holiday Programme. Today, Tuesday and Wednesday. For keen, young, footballers aged 5-12 years old. Please contact Scott Hales or Jess Green, Central Football, to book a spot or for further enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org, 021 873 477; email@example.com, 021 687 201. Venue: Ruahine AFC Clubrooms. Time: 9am. Admission: One day, $30; Four days, $100.
* Manawatu Gymsports Holiday Programme. Today, Tuesday and Wednesday. Includes gymnastics, dance, badminton, games, trampolining and more. To register phone 06 357 7065 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Venue: Manawatu Gymsports Inc. Time: 9am. Admission: Per session (light snack included), $25.
* The Buzz Holiday Programme. A one week holiday programme for primary aged children (year 1-year 6). Indoor and outdoor games, dancing, singing, crafts, in-house movies, laughter and great food. WINZ subsidies may apply. To register email the email@example.com or phone 357 9411. Venue: St Albans Presbyterian Church. Time: 9am. Admission: 9am-4pm daily session, $25.50; 9am-3pm daily session, $22.
* Air Hockey Comp. Venue: Youth Space. Time: 1.30pm.* KiwiBop Performance. Exciting, interactive song and dance entertainment for young ones. Held in the Children's Zone, first floor. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 2pm.
Tuesday, July 3
* Crafty Craft Session. Venue: Youth Space. Time: 3pm.
* Griffin Shield- Futsal. The Griffin Shield is a multi-sport challenge held throughout the year with points accumulating so that at the end of the fifth league there is an overall winner that gets guardianship of the Griffin Shield. The Futsal league is the third league and runs for six weeks. Get your department, workplace, mates together and register a team. $300 per team per league or $30 each for the whole league if you have 10 people in your team. For more information on how to register email firstname.lastname@example.org. Venue: Massey University, Hokowhitu Campus. Time: 6pm.
Wednesday, July 4
* Craft Session: Happy & Horrible Hats. Held in Events Central, ground floor. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 10am.
* Creative Writing Workshop. For budding young writers. Bookings essential. Suitable for ages 8-12yrs. Contact the children's desk. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 6pm.
* Feilding Music Society Presents. Today, March Militare. Venue: Feilding Little Theatre. Time: 7.45pm. Admission: Entry, $3.
- © Fairfax NZ News