Manawatu Diary: July 5 - 11
Thursday, July 5
* Central Football Holiday Programme. For keen, young, footballers aged 5-12 years old. Please contact Scott Hales or Jess Green, Central Football, to book a spot or for further enquiries: email@example.com, 021 873 477; firstname.lastname@example.org, 021 687 201. Venue: Ruahine AFC Clubrooms. Time: 9am. Admission: One day, $30; Four days, $100.
* The Buzz Holiday Programme. A one week holiday programme for primary aged children (year 1-year 6). Indoor and outdoor games, dancing, singing, crafts, in-house movies, laughter and great food. WINZ subsidies may apply. To register email the email@example.com or phone 357 9411. Venue: St Albans Presbyterian Church. Time: 9am. Admission: 9am-4pm daily session, $25.50; 9am-3pm daily session, $22.
* School Holiday Craft. Today and Friday. Making and decorating paper doll chains. Come along and join in the fun. Choose from dolls, fairies, aliens, knights or design your own. Create and decorate your choice of paper doll chain to take home and make some more there. Bring along a friend and join in the fun. Suitable for ages 4-10 years, boys and girls. Bookings recommended. For more details phone 354 5516 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Venue: Junior Kids Store, Broadway Avenue. Time: 1.30pm. Admission: Craft activity per child, $2.
* Table Tennis. Venue: Youth Space. Time: 2pm.
* Backyard League. Today and Friday. No need to pre-register 5-12 year old boys and girls. Learn the fundamentals through skills, drills and mini games. Runs for 10 weeks. For more information, visit the website. Phone Lisa on 027 257 1707. Venue: Arena Manawatu. Time: 4pm. Admission: Per session, $2.
* Art Classes - Realism in Coloured Pencil. Learn the art of rendering images in realism using Polychromos oil-based pencils. Focusing on birdlife and nature photographs, Scott Meyers will take students step by step through the processes to achieve a realistic portrayal of the image. A four-week course. Enrol at Ochre Art Supplies, ground floor, Square Edge, 49 The Square. For more information or a current course programme, phone 355 8045, email@example.com. All courses are also posted on the Ochre Art Supplies website. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 7pm. Admission: General admission, $90.
* Enlightenment. By Shelagh Stephenson. Today, Friday and Saturday, 8pm; Sunday, 5pm; Wednesday, 6.30pm. New Zealand premiere. When Lia and Nick's son disappears at the time of the Bali bombings in 1992, all they have is an email that he was thinking of going to Jakarta, leaving them with their own grief and uncertainty. Running time is approximately two hours including an interval. Venue: Centrepoint Theatre. Time: 8pm. Admission: Adult, $37; Community Service Card holders, $25; Under 30s, $27; Students with ID, $15; Seniors, $25; Dinner & show (with participating restaurants), $65.
Friday, July 6
* Feilding Farmers Market. Venue: Manchester Square. Time: 9am.
* Electronic Music Workshop. Venue: Youth Space. Time: 12pm.
* NZ Highland & National Dancing Championships. Today, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Approximately 250 of New Zealand's top Highland dancers in action plus all age groups from six years and under. Venue: Regent on Broadway. Time: 1pm.
* Winter Exhibition. Today, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. An exhibition of works by the Dannevirke Art Society. Venue: Square Edge. Time: 5pm.
* A Year in the Life Room. Today, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. An exhibition of drawings by the Palmerston North Life Drawing Society. Venue: Square Edge. Time: 5.30pm.
* Lynn Davidson and Helen Heath: Poetry Reading. Join Wellington writers Helen Heath and Lynn Davidson for an evening of poetry from their new collections. This is Helen Heath's first collection and Lynn Davidson's third. Both poets are experienced speakers and these books were released earlier this year. Helen Heath's book has work about science, obsession, Greece, death and parenting. Lynn Davidson's book is dense in the tricks of memory, the ties of family and the pull of nature. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 6pm.
* Stories @ 6: Fancy Dress - Fancy That. Come dressed up in your favourite fancy dress. It can be anything you like: a superhero, a pirate, a princess. Held in the Children's Zone, first floor. Stories @ 6 is a fun 45-minute story time for the whole family. Hot chocolate and marshmallows. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 6pm.
* Friday Night Painting Club/Open Studio. Tutor, Kirsty Porter. Weekly ongoing ''open studio'' sessions where everyone can work on personal or study projects of their choice in an art school environment with an encouraging and informative tutor on hand, and in the company of other students and artists. There will also be some active dialogue about different art topics. Open to all beginners, students and more experienced artists. Please note: Only cartridge paper, pencils and brushes are supplied. Students need to bring their own materials for their chosen projects, but get 10 percent off all purchases at Ochre Art Supplies. Enrolments and enquiries at Ochre Art Supplies, 355 8045, open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday, 9am-2pm Saturdays. Venue: Ochre Art School. Time: 7pm. Admission: General admission (4 sessions), $80.
* Ruia Aperahama. Mata Events presents: Matariki in Palmerston North with Ruia Aperahama and his band headlining a fantastic night of entertainment. There will be an array of talented performers including a sample of the Rangatahi within the Manawatu who are commencing their musical careers, local band Upfront and a performance from Maori R&B entertainer and former band Maia lead singer Atawhai Timble and friends. Venue: Travelodge. Time: 7.30pm. Admission: General admission, $25; Eventfinder ticket, $29.
* Jim Beam Battle Of The Bands. Venue: Murphy's Law. Time: 9.30pm.
Saturday, July 7
* Indoor Polocrosse. Polocrosse is an exciting one horse sport that is suitable for all ages and gender. If you can ride a horse you can play this game. Indoor polocrosse is a variation of the out door game mainly due to the size of the indoor arena. Phone Graham Elphick on 376 5699 or 027 466 1650; firstname.lastname@example.org. Venue: Tielcey Park Equestrian Centre. Time: 8.30am. Admission: General admission, $15.
* Pedal Power on Manfeild. This is a family friendly event that caters for all levels of cyclists. Take the opportunity to zoom around Manfeild before the race cars come out. Cycle skills training, colouring competitions, schools competition, bike checks and more. Spot prizes. Adult, $5 for one ride or $9 for both events; Child, $5 for one ride or $9 for both events; Family (two adults and up to three children), $12 for one ride or $20 for both rides Under-fives free. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 8.30am.
* Groove Method Fitness Class. Develop functional strength, increase cardiovascular endurance, improve flexibility, balance and coordination and reduce stress (all while dancing). It involves really simple steps which you then move in your own way. No dance experience or ability required. Venue: Square Edge. Time: 10.30am. Admission: Koha/donation. Concession card, 10 classes, $80; Concession card, five classes, $45; Casual rate,$10.
* Marton Business House Supporters Raceday. Come along and enjoy the racing action from the warmth of the first class facilities of the Awapuni Function Centre. If you have any questions or to make a booking phone Tineke on 356 4940 or email email@example.com. Venue: Awapuni Racecourse. Time: 11.30am.
* The Traditional Proofs of God's Existence w/ Stephen Duffin. Includes some of the philosophical arguments that attempt to show the existence of God, based around the notion of an all-loving, all-powerful and all-knowing being - the traditional idea of god from a Judaic/Christian/Islam view. Venue: Theosophical Society Hall. Time: 7.30pm. Admission: Members, $2; General, $5.
Sunday, July 8
* Manfeild Indoor Winter Show Jumping Series. Entries close on the Tuesday immediately prior to each show. Entries accepted on the day at 25 percent extra. All classes will be held in the Manfeild Indoor Stadium. Ponies, 8am start with $5 practice rounds. Classes start at 9am. Horse practice rounds will start at the completion of the pony classes at $5 per round. Horse classes will not start any earlier than 12pm. Phone Daniel Webb on 322 8144, 027 237 8745; firstname.lastname@example.org or Mandy Illston 322 1133, 027 232 4557, email@example.com. Full schedule details at manfeild.co.nz. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 8am.
* Manawatu Naturist Club Open Days. A family-friendly naturist club, with 17.5 acres of beautiful grounds for you to relax in. Meet like-minded people and enjoy a clothes-free environment. We provide a safe, welcoming environment with club house, social activities, 19m swimming pool and accommodation available. Open days held every second Sunday of the month from 1-4pm. Join us for afternoon tea. Venue: Manawatu Naturist Club. Time: 1pm.
Monday, July 9
* Craft Session: Ice Age Craft. Held in Events Central (ground floor). Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 10am.
Tuesday, July 10
* Craft Session. Theme: Royalty. Tararua District Library is offering free papercraft sessions for primary-aged children, during the July school holidays. Parental guidance required. Phone 376 0218 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest (free) so that enough craft materials are present. Each library also has Junk'n Disorderly hosting a workshop. Bridgette Murphy will be encouraging kids to 'tell their story' using all sorts of second-hand resources to create a simple book about themselves. (This is the longer session). Venue: Woodville Community Library. Time: 11am.
* Matariki Star Lab. Today and Wednesday. Giant size interactive display and information. For all you need to know about Matariki. Venue: Youth Space. Time: 12pm.
* Tall Poppies Youth Theatre Company. Children's drama with Pick a Pack of Pirates. Come and enjoy some great kids' drama. Held in the Children's Zone, first floor. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 1.30pm.
* Flax Weaving. Free flax weaving class with Laureen. Venue: Youth Space. Time: 3.30pm.
* Griffin Shield- Futsal. The Griffin Shield is a multi-sport challenge held throughout the year with points accumulating so that at the end of the fifth league there is an overall winner that gets guardianship of the Griffin Shield. The Futsal league is the third league and runs for six weeks. Get your department, workplace, mates together and register a team. $300 per team per league or $30 each for the whole league if you have 10 people in your team. For more information on how to register email email@example.com. Venue: Massey University, Hokowhitu Campus. Time: 6pm.
* Manawatu Bonsai Meeting. Meeting on the second Tuesday of each month to share information and experience the art of bonsai. Learn how to create a bonsai from a suitable nursery tree or backyard bush. Meetings generally start with a display table of bonsai trees then a workshop on our trees follows. Sometimes a bonsai topic is discussed. Subscription for the year costs $27 plus $2 per meeting. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Venue: Community Leisure Centre. Time: 7pm.
Wednesday, July 11
* 2012 Tennis Manawatu Winter Open. Refreshments will be on sale from 11am each day. Venue: Manawatu Lawn Tennis Club. Time: 8.30am.
* 400kw Holden V8 Race Drive Experience. Experience life in the fast lane. Phone: (0800) DRIVE1 (374 831). Venue: Manfeild. Time: 9am. Admission: Drive 1 Option, $499; 2 Drive Option, $799.
* Holden V8 Hot Laps. Experience the thrill of being driven by a professional driver in a fully modified 400kw 5700cc V8 Holden race car. Venue: Manfeild. Time: 9am. Admission: 2 Flying Laps, $249; 3 Flying Laps, $299; 5 Flying Laps, $399.
* Zappo the Magician. Come on a magic carpet ride with Zappo the Magician. Held in the Children's Zone, first floor. Venue: Palmerston North City Library. Time: 10.30am.
* Manawatu Home Birth Association Get Together. Meeting once a month alternating between morning and afternoon get-togethers. We are a group of parents who believe childbirth is a normal and healthy process. We provide information and support to families planning to birth their babies at home, in the Manawatu. Our gatherings are informal business/social events (over morning or afternoon tea on the second Wednesday of the month). Email: email@example.com. Phone 356 BABY (leave message). Venue: Community Birth Services, Level 2, Westside Chambers. Time: 1.30pm.
* Learn to DJ. A workshop for all music lovers who have an interest in being a DJ. Venue: Youth Space. Time: 2pm.
* Open Mic. Original song competition. Venue: Ashhurst Inn. Time: 7pm.