Nelson roads are flooded and winds of nearly 120kmh hit Wellington as a fierce storm moved up the country.
We've now wrapped up our live coverage. You can read the full wrap here, or you can watch the replay of events below.
- Severe weather warnings in place for Westland, Buller, Nelson and Taranaki.
- Nelson roads that were closed due to flooding have re-opened.
- Northerly gusts exceeded 100kmh in Wellington.
- A slip near Rotorua has closed State Highway 36 between Dudley Rd and Te Matai Rd.
- Conditions are expected to improve into the evening.
- More than 100 millimetres of rain fell overnight in parts of the South Island.
Is community service a worthwhile punishment for less serious criminal offending?Related story: (See story)