Guilty of offering to supply methadone

A Picton woman was found guilty of offering to supply a class B drug when she appeared in the Blenheim District Court yesterday.

It was alleged that Helen Jayne Crofskey, 40, had offered to supply the complainant with methadone twice between August 1 and November 20 last year.

Both Crofskey and the complainant, Wayne Andrew Bright, were on the methadone programme at the time.

Bright and his partner gave evidence yesterday, saying that Crofskey had offered him methadone once outside the pharmacy they got it from, and once at Bright's house.

Bright's partner said she had been present when both offers were made.

Crofskey denied the allegations, saying the accusations stemmed from an incident between the three on November 20 at Picton.

She admitted hitting Bright in the jaw in the car park, and said he and his partner had made up the allegations to get back at her.

The altercation arose over $10 Crofskey had loaned to Bright, which he had not paid back.

Bright had once offered to fix Crofskey's car in return for 20ml an hour of her methadone, but she declined, and had not offered him any methadone, she said.

Judge Tony Zohrab said it was always difficult for a judge to make a decision based on one person's word over another.

However, the fact that Bright's partner had given evidence against Crofskey had strengthened the prosecution's case, as he considered her a credible witness, and the only one of the three not on the methadone programme.

"I can't believe that she would go out of her way to give false evidence . . . I'm satisfied on the two occasions you offered to supply so I find the charge proven."

Crofskey was sentenced to 90 hours' community work.

Reginald Edward Pouni Biddle, 27, had a protection order issued against him when he was sentenced for punching his pregnant partner.

Biddle had admitted the charge, which stemmed from an incident on April 16, when he was at his partner's address.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Jason Munro said the couple had been in a relationship for nearly three years at the time, and had one child together and another on the way.

An argument began between them about their child, and Biddle punched her in the face once before leaving.

As a result of the punch the victim received a swollen and bruised eye.

He told police he hit her because he was angry when she wouldn't let him take their child out of the car.

Judge Tony Zohrab said Biddle did not have a history of violence but it had been a serious assault.

He convicted him and sentenced him to 200 hours' community work.

Michael Federico Daum, 44, appeared on five charges of breaching a protection order, and one of trespass.

He made no plea to the charges, and was remanded in custody until July 7.