Serious burns to body
A man in his 70s was taken by air ambulance to Hutt Hospital with serious burns after his clothes caught fire when he tried to put out a small grass fire near Blenheim yesterday.
Firefighters were called to a tomato, grape and cherry growing business on Old Renwick Rd, near Blenheim, at 11.20am yesterday.
Blenheim chief fire officer Rob Dalton said the man had been welding when a spark landed on dry grass and sawdust, which ignited a small fire.
The man was trying to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher when his overalls caught fire.
The grass fire was out and smouldering by the time two fire appliances arrived from Blenheim.
St John intensive care paramedic Sue Drummond said the man was taken to Wairau Hospital, in Blenheim, with serious burns to his lower body.
Life Flight crewman Julian Burn said the man, in his 70s, was transferred to Hutt Hospital by air ambulance about 4pm.
A Hutt Hospital spokesman was not available to give a condition update last night.
Firefighters were at the scene for about 30 minutes to ensure the fire was out and to assist ambulance staff.
- The Marlborough Express
Are you being careful with your water usage?Related story: (See story)