Man admits tavern break-in

00:38, May 27 2014

Three men appeared in the Blenheim District Court yesterday in connection with a burglary at Redwood Tavern during the weekend.

One man pleaded guilty to burglary and a second charge of theft, while the other two men were remanded without plea to apply for legal aid.

Troy Edward Maddock, 22, admitted breaking into Redwood Tavern on Saturday morning, as well as a second charge of theft, relating to another incident.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Mark Harris said the Blenheim man went to the tavern about 3.30am and broke in through a skylight. Once inside, he attempted to take a flat-screen TV. However, he could not remove it from the wall.

He then moved through to the liquor store area of the building, and took several bottles of alcohol worth $593.

After identifying the men using security footage, police executed a search warrant of Maddock's house on Sunday, and found some of the bottles of alcohol as well as the clothes worn by Maddock when he broke into the pub.


On the charge of theft, Harris said Maddock was at the library with an associate when a third party accidentally left his cellphone next to a computer he had been using. A member of the public handed the phone to the attendant at the counter.

Maddock and his associate went to the attendant and asked for the phone, saying it was theirs.

They left the library, and shortly after the phone's real owner came back to ask if it had been handed in.

Maddock was identified on CCTV footage and admitted his actions when questioned by police.

Judge Peter Hobbs said Maddock had 49 previous charges, about 25 of which were dishonesty related, and the burglary had been committed while he was on bail for theft.

Maddock was remanded in custody until July 7 for sentencing.

His alleged associate, Troy Peter Emmett, 19, was remanded without plea on a burglary charge, and was bailed to reappear on June 9.

A third alleged associate, Dameon Aaron Pullan, 21, was remanded in custody without plea on a charge of burglary and one of theft. He will reappear on June 3.

The Marlborough Express