Teens have a blast at party

HEATHER SIMPSON
Last updated 09:03 07/07/2014

Relevant offers

A teenage rave in Blenheim went without incident on Thursday night.

There were no arrests or reports of illegal drinking at the Pro Fresh Neon Blackout, a dance party for teenagers aged 13 to 18.

About 400 teenagers turned up at the drug and alcohol-free event, believed to have been the first of its kind in Blenheim, at Clubs of Marlborough.

Blenheim mother and youth leader Jo Lane attended.

"It was a really good event and well supported," she said.

"The youth were really well behaved. Before the event I was very suspicious but it was a very clean event.

"There was a good balance. The girls were dressed appropriately and didn't put themselves in a vulnerable position. There was no hanky-panky or PDAs."

Lane said there had been tight security. All bags were searched and anyone who had noticeably consumed alcohol was not allowed entry.

All party-goers had to produce ID to be admitted and had to show a text message saying they were being picked up after the event.

"The music was great and the kids loved it. I would be delighted if they came back next year," Lane said.

Police communications manager Barbara Dunn confirmed there had been no arrests or trouble at the event.

Ad Feedback

- The Marlborough Express

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Is the region better served by having multiple events over one weekend or spread out throughout the year?

Multiple events

Spread out over year

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content