Tavern burglar gets home detention
A man involved in a break-in at the Redwood Tavern in May has been sentenced to home detention.
Dameon Aaron Pullan, 21, appeared in the Blenheim District Court yesterday on a charge of burglary as well as two of theft and one of wilful damage. He also pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of attempted burglary.
Details of the charges were not read in court, but at an earlier appearance of one of his associates, the court was told that the men went to the tavern about 3.30am on May 24. They broke in through a skylight, and $593 of alcohol was stolen from the liquor store area of the building.
The charge of attempted burglary stemmed from an incident on the same day, when Pullan attempted to break into a Redwoodtown dairy.
The charge of intentional damage arose on the same day, Judge Peter Butler said. The two thefts had been in relation to two cellphones, worth $100 and $69, which were stolen on April 7 and April 30, respectively.
The judge sentenced Pullan to six months' home detention on the burglary and attempted burglary charges, and an additional month on each charge of theft. Pullan received another month's jail on the charge of wilful damage. They were to be served concurrently.
Michael Federico Daum, 45, was sentenced to community detention after previously accepting five charges of breaching a protection order and one of wilful trespass.
According to the police summary, police were called to the victim's workplace about 6.50am on July 2 by an employee who found Daum in the grounds. When police arrived he was sitting under a tree by the front door to the office and was arrested for breaching a trespass notice.
The victim then found she had received four emails from Daum earlier that morning. The emails were identical, but were sent from different email addresses belonging to Daum. They detailed how he wanted to end his life, and copies of the emails had been sent to the victim's colleagues.
Police visited the workplace about 11.15am on the same day when a noose was found hanging in a tree.
The judge said yesterday that Daum seemed to be unable to accept the end of a relationship with the victim. "You meant her no harm, I accept that, but you couldn't accept that the relationship was over."
Daum's offending did not make him a bad person, the judge said.
He sentenced him to three months' community detention, nine months' supervision and 120 hours' community work.
Efi Aloaina, 26, of Riversdale pleaded guilty to careless driving and failing to stop to ascertain injury.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Mark Harris said Aloaina was following closely behind another car in Nelson St on June 11. He approached a section of the road known as the "humps", where there was surface flooding from the Taylor River.
The vehicle in front of Aloaina slowed because of the flooding, and Aloaina drove into the back of it. He then drove away from the scene before checking to see if anybody in the vehicle he hit had been hurt. The driver suffered minor injuries and was taken to Wairau Hospital.
Aloaina told police he failed to stop because it was his first car accident in New Zealand and he was scared. The judge convicted him and ordered him to pay $9000 in reparations.
Aaron Mann, 17, was remanded without plea on a charge of graffiti. He was to reappear in court on August 4.
Grant Eden, 50, a Koromiko fisherman, denied a charge of dangerous driving. He was to reappear for a case review hearing on September 8.
Alexander Tuiritekoau Davey, 18, of Picton, was remanded without plea on charges of wilful damage and assaulting a female. He was to reappear on August 11.
Zane Russell Greer, 25, denied a charge of assaulting a female and was remanded for a case review hearing on September 29.
The Blenheim labourer accepted a charge of breaching his release conditions and was remanded until September 22 for compliance with the sentence.
Steve Thomas Moore, 21, denied charges of assaulting a child, two of breaching a protection order, one of assault with intent to injure and one of burglary.
The Waikawa man was remanded on bail to reappear on September 30.
D'Angelo Du'Pont Potaka was sentenced to 40 hours' community work after breaching his home detention conditions.
David Garry Walker, 21, denied a charge of burglary. The Blenheim food industry worker was to reappear on September 29 for a case review hearing.
A 26-year-old Witherlea man was remanded without plea on charges of assaulting a female and indecent assault. He was granted interim name suppression and was to reappear on August 11.
Charles John Tawha was sent to prison for three months after breaching his release conditions.
Larissa Rewa Wallace-Tapine, 17, was remanded for restorative justice to be explored after admitting a charge of assault with intent to injure. The Blenheim woman was to reappear in court on September 15.
Josaiah Jon William Carter-Humphrey, 19, admitted a charge of assault. He has been remanded for restorative justice to be explored and was to reappear on September 15.
Susan Claire Muir, 26, admitted a charge of drink-driving. Harris said the Renwick woman was stopped on Middle Renwick Rd about 11.20pm on July 11 for a routine breath screening test.
She said she had been drinking and an evidential breath-screening test showed she had a breath-alcohol level of 451mcg per litre of breath. The legal limit is 400mcg per litre of breath.
Muir's lawyer, Rennie Gould, said her client had been unlucky, having not eaten but drinking over a long period of time.
She was convicted and disqualified from driving for six months and fined $350.
Johnny Peter Materoa, 20, was convicted and ordered to come up for sentence if called within six months on charges of speaking threateningly and wilful damage.
He was convicted and discharged on a charge of breaching his community work.
Levi James Brian Smith, 25, was remanded in custody on two charges of injuring with intent to injure, one of kidnapping, one of possession of an offensive weapon and one of male assaults female. The Blenheim roofer was to reappear on August 11.
Danny Edward Giles, 42, was remanded without plea on a charge of intimidation. The Renwick labourer was to reappear on August 11.
Tony Whitcombe, 50, was sentenced to nine months' supervision on one charge of shoplifting and one of possession of cannabis.
Hopa William Wilson was fined $350 on a charge of unlawful hunting. Harris said the man was seen walking with pig dogs on private forestry land in the Pelorus Sound. The land was only accessible by boat and there was a boat moored in the bay with another man on board.
In explanation Wilson said he was just following his dogs. He had not appeared before the court before and was fined and discharged.
Karl Graham Mann, 18, was remanded without plea on two charges of breaching a protection order. The Blenheim man was to apply for legal aid and reappear on August 11.
Marshall Teraina Rimene, 45, denied a charge of assaulting a female, and admitted one of wilful damage. The Picton fruit picker has been remanded for a case review hearing on the denied charge on September 8. The accepted charge was to lay alongside it.
A 48-year-old man was remanded for restorative justice to be explored on a charge of assaulting a child.
He was granted interim name suppression and was to reappear on September 8.
The Marlborough Express