Assault on woman 'overstepped the mark'

21:28, Aug 12 2014

In the Blenheim District Court on Monday, Matthew Thomas Gudsell, 26, admitted a charge of assaulting a female.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Mark Harris said the scrap-metal worker was at home with the victim on July 26 about 10.30am when the pair began arguing about their relationship. The victim got up to go to their daughter, who was crying, but he refused to let her past. They continued arguing and he pushed her 2 metres across the room, holding her arms and then holding her against the wall. Gudsell took the victim's phone and left the house, before returning to take her laptop, to prevent her contacting police.

Judge Richard Russell told Gudsell the court treated domestic violence very seriously. "You really overstepped the mark on this occasion," he said.

Gudsell was convicted and fined $250, ordered to pay $150 in emotional harm payments to the victim and sentenced to six months' supervision. A protection order was put in place to protect the victim.

Max Lewis Veldkamp, 21, appeared for sentence for breaching supervision, and breaching his community work. The court heard that Veldkamp had not been complying with the sentences but had recently made changes and was starting to comply with the conditions of his supervision.

The judge cancelled the outstanding 24 hours of community work, and reimposed a new sentence of 40 hours' community work and six months' intensive supervision.


The sentence was to be judicially monitored by Russell.

Daniel Colin Carrick, 19, admitted breaching his community work after completing only half an hour of it since it was imposed on June 30. The judge cancelled the 40-hour sentence and reimposed a sentence of 50 hours' community work and six months' supervision.

Karl Stacey Aldridge, 32, denied a charge of theft and admitted a charge of breaching his community work order.

He was to appear in court on September 22 for sentence for the breach and a case review hearing on the theft charge.

George Sean Warren, 41, denied charges of wilful damage, breaching a protection order, threatening grievous bodily harm and injuring with intent. He has elected trial by jury and was remanded in custody to reappear on October 13 for a case review hearing.

Kolina Marie Filipo Boyce, 17, was sentenced to six months' supervision for common assault.

Grant Raymond Stokes, 47, appeared for sentence on Monday on a raft of dishonesty-related charges. Stokes had previously admitted four charges of causing loss by deception, one charge of using a document to obtain a pecuniary advantage and one of breaching his bail.

The court was told then that Stokes fleeced multiple businesses in the Tauranga area between 2011 and 2012. He had been employed at a business in the region, the owners of which entrusted him with a cellphone and a fuel card for work vehicles. After leaving his job in 2012, Stokes kept the cellphone and the fuel card, and continued to use them.

He worked up a phone bill of more than $1000, which was charged to his former employers, and used the fuel card for personal purchases, totalling $421.61.

In September 2012, Stokes stayed at a Tauranga apartment complex, where he used the internet and ordered various food items before leaving without paying.

His expensestotalled about $1600.

He did the same at another motel and at a restaurant, where he took advantage of about $500 and $130 of services, respectively, without paying.

His lawyer, Rob Harrison, said the offending stemmed from a gambling problem, which had "basically lost him everything".

The judge said Stokes' previous convictions list now spanned five pages, many of which were for similar offending.

Stokes was sentenced to 180 hours' community work, 12 months' supervision and ordered to pay reparation to the victims.

The Marlborough Express