Redwood home ready to reopen
The Blenheim rest home that has been on lockdown since Wednesday after an outbreak of vomiting and diarrhoea is reopening today, after no further cases arose.
Redwood Lifestyle Care and Village in Cleghorn St closed last week after three residents and four staff were struck down by the bug.
South Island clinical and quality manager for the rest home operator, Oceania Group, Eve Minogue, said the precautions put in place to contain the virus had been successful, and the lockdown would be lifted this morning provided there were no further cases.
"We are going to continue with the precautions, and make sure the public is aware of the importance of thoroughly cleaning their hands and using hand sanitisers."
The outbreak had not been confirmed as norovirus, but results were due today, Ms Minogue said.
On Tuesday, Nelson Marlborough medical officer of health Ed Kiddle warned that an outbreak of diarrhoea and vomiting in Marlborough could be norovirus.
People with symptoms should stay home to stop the bug spreading, Dr Kiddle said.
Nelson Marlborough District Health Board spokeswoman Katherine Rock said 10 staff and four patients at Wairau Hospital had contracted the virus since last Monday.
People with the bug had gone to the Emergency Department but no one had been admitted, Ms Rock said.
"In most cases it can be dealt with in the community, by a GP or at home, but babies and elderly people are vulnerable."
- The Marlborough Express