Man threatened to kill officer

04:00, Aug 21 2012

A Picton man who threatened to kill a police officer and his family and attacked police has been sent to prison for 14 months.

Kyle Peterson, 21, unemployed of Picton, was sentenced in Blenheim District Court yesterday after admitting charges of threatening to kill, resisting police, disorderly behaviour likely to cause violence and disorderly behaviour. They related to an incident in Picton on May 12.

He was also sentenced on several earlier charges.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Graham Single said the incident on May 12 began about 10.30pm when Peterson made loud suggestive comments to a group of women leaving a cafe in High St.

A police officer attending an urgent matter nearby told Peterson to stop or leave and Peterson began yelling and swearing, he said. When the officer tried to make him move, Peterson pushed him in the chest and tried to punch and kick him and the officer had to ask the public for help to ensure Peterson left, he said.

After dealing with the urgent matter, the officers went to arrest Peterson about 10.55pm and found him on the corner of High St and Waikawa Rd with family members and associates, Mr Single said.


When they tried to arrest him, Peterson challenged the officers to a fight and advanced on them, while the group with him began yelling at police, Mr Single said.

During the arrest, Peterson struggled violently with two officers, spitting blood at one and yelling he would hunt him down and kill him, his wife and children, Mr Single said.

He later told the officer he knew where he lived and would burn down his house.

Defence lawyer Rob Harrison reminded the court Peterson was still wearing the shirt he had been arrested in when he first appeared on the Monday after the incident. Blood was still visible on it and he had bruises and a broken nose from the arrest.

However, his client took responsibility for the offending, which stemmed from a problem with alcohol, he said.

There had been a sea change in his attitude since his arrest and, while he accepted he would go to jail, he was keen to change so he could be a part of his young child's life, Mr Harrison said.

Peterson also admitted and was sentenced on charges of drink-driving, careless driving, driving while disqualified, assaulting police and resisting police. These charges stemmed from an incident on August 28, 2011.

He was also sentenced on charges from 2010 and 2011 of refusing to accompany police, receiving stolen property of less than $500, breaching bail and breaching community work.

Judge Zohrab said he hoped Peterson's desire to change was genuine. He imposed six months' special conditions to apply after Peterson's release from prison to help him deal with his alcohol issues. Peterson was also disqualified from driving for nine months for the drink-driving offence.

The Marlborough Express