Drunk man drove to see his children

A drink-driver was more than twice the legal limit when he drove to his ex-partner's house in Blenheim and tried to force his way in to see his children, police say.

Adam Brian Partridge, 43, a lineman of Witherlea, admitted driving with a breath alcohol level of 972mcg (legal limit 400mcg) and refusing to accompany a police officer when he appeared in Blenheim District Court yesterday. He was fined $1100 and disqualified from driving for six months.

Prosecutor Sergeant Mark Lucas said police were called to a home just after 7pm on October 22, when Partridge, who was drunk and abusive, had been trying to force his way in, saying he wanted to speak to their children.

By the time they got there he had left so they went to his home, where they found him in the driveway, he said.

Partridge initially said he had not left the house and had to be handcuffed when he refused to accompany the officer, Mr Lucas said. He later apologised to police for his behaviour.

Defence lawyer Philip Watson said Partridge and his ex-partner had been handling the split well before the incident and he felt he had let his children and himself down.

Judge Susan Thomas told Partridge he was twice the legal limit, making him a danger to anyone he came across while driving.

Also appearing in court on drink-driving charges yesterday:

Daniel Peter Melling, 26, of Redwoodtown, admitted driving with a breath alcohol level of 522mcg and careless driving and was fined $550 and disqualified from driving for six months.

Mr Lucas said Melling had been drinking with friends in Blenheim on October 13. About 3.20am on October 14 he took a friend's car to drive to McDonald's and as he turned right from Main St into Freswick St he lost control of the car, which skidded across the right-hand lane and hit the kerb in front of the restaurant.

A crowd of people had been waiting outside and the incident could have been serious if the car had mounted the kerb, Mr Lucas said.

Melling was stopped in the car park by a policeman who had seen the incident. He told the officer he did not know how the incident happened, except it was not his car and he had not driven it before.

Defence lawyer Kent Arnott said Melling denied hitting the kerb but accepted he should not have driven.

Jeremy Parker, 26, unemployed, of Whatamango Bay, admitted driving with a breath alcohol level of 633mcg, a third or subsequent offence, and was remanded for a pre-sentence report to assess the possibility of an electronically monitored sentence.

Defence lawyer Rennie Gould said Parker had drunk three cans of bourbon and coke and had not eaten when he was stopped by police at 11.42pm on October 20 in Maxwell Rd.

Judge Thomas said Parker was on a sentence of intensive supervision with a condition not to drink alcohol.

Blair Jonathon Dasler, 23, a spray painter, of Havelock, admitted driving with a breath alcohol level of 709mcg and was fined $750 and disqualified from driving for six months.

Mr Gould said Dasler had made a stupid decision to drive rather than walk a short distance home after drinking with friends on October 27.

A Blenheim man was caught driving after smoking cannabis when he fell asleep in his car in the middle of State Highway 1.

Quinn Ronald Warman, 38, unemployed of Riverlands, admitted a charge of driving under the influence of drugs, his third drink- or drug-driving offence. He was sentenced to nine months' supervision, 80 hours' community work and disqualified from driving for one year and one day.

At an earlier court hearing, Warman admitted charges of possessing less than 1 gram of cannabis and possessing knives, from the same incident on September 15. The drug-driving charge was delayed while police waited for the results of a blood test.

Mr Lucas said Warman fell asleep in his car in the middle of the left-hand lane on State Highway 1 after he stopped to roll a cigarette about 2.15am on September 15.

The Marlborough Express