Pelorus crash men named
The two tourists who were killed last week in a head-on collision on State Highway 6 near Pelorus Bridge have been named.
They were 28-year-old German man Onur Gulmez and 26-year-old French man Paul Joubert.
Police released the names of the two men today after contacting their families.
Tasman district police communications manager Barbara Dunn said police were still investigating the cause of the crash.
Police would not release any further information on the two men.
The two men were travelling with a 25-year-old German woman toward Nelson when their Mitsubishi station wagon crossed the centre line and collided with a four-wheel-drive ute just after 1pm on Wednesday last week.
A hospital spokeswoman said the 33-year-old Marlborough woman who was alone in the ute remains in a stable condition in Wairau Hospital, in Blenheim.
The woman had a broken ankle and required surgery. She also had significant bruising to her body and face.
The 25-year-old German woman who was a passenger in the front of the station wagon remained in a comfortable condition in Wairau Hospital. She had a broken collarbone and was also badly bruised.
A comfortable condition was less serious than a stable condition.
The German woman told police last week she and the two men had only met recently and were sharing a ride. Two of them were going to the Abel Tasman while the other was heading to Nelson.
The German Embassy in Wellington would not comment on the accident or on what assistance it had given her and Mr Gulmez's family.
- The Marlborough Express