Pair face murder charges

19:33, Jan 14 2013
Detectives and forensic investigators at the Scotland St house in Picton

A man and a woman have been charged with murder after 43-year-old woman Robyn Grace was killed in Picton on Sunday.

She was identified in charge sheets in the courtroom, but police have yet to officially name Ms Grace as the victim.

Detective Inspector Geoff Jago, of Tasman police, said the two accused were taken into custody on Sunday after police were called to a disturbance at a Picton house about 4.30pm.

Police at the scene of a suspected homicide in Scotland Street Picton.

The sole police officer who arrived at the scene entered the Scotland St house and found a woman dead.

The accused man and accused woman were inside the house at the time and were handcuffed and taken into custody without incident.

"The officer took the pair out of the house and sought the assistance of members of the public to supervise them until further police officers arrived," Mr Jago said.


"Police would like to thank those members of the public for their assistance."

Both of the accused appeared in the Blenheim District Court yesterday afternoon charged with the murder of Robyn Grace, according to the charge sheets.

The man and woman, both unemployed, appeared in the court in blue police overalls and stood hugging and talking quietly with their heads bowed during the hearing, flanked by four policemen.

Judge Richard Russell granted the pair name suppression and remanded the pair to reappear on January 28.

He said the name suppression would be reviewed, and was ordered because this was their first appearance.

Defence lawyer Mike Hardy-Jones said his client had a medical condition which needed to be addressed and an assessment of his mental state and whether or not he was fit to plead was needed.

The man was remanded to Christchurch for a psychiatric assessment.

Defence lawyer Nicki Utting said her client also needed an assessment, but the judge remanded the woman in custody in the meantime.

Mr Jago said police were not looking for anyone else.

The Marlborough Express