Multinational buys rest home

20:16, Jan 23 2013

A Blenheim rest home that provides hospital-level care has been bought by a multi-national health care provider.

Bupa Care Services will take over Fairview Hospital on Maxwell Rd from Tuesday.

Bupa southern operations manager Jo Powell said the site would be renamed Maxwell Care Home.

Bupa, which already owns Waterlea Rest Home in Blenheim, wanted to provide all levels of care to its residents in Marlborough, Ms Powell said.

"We have not, until now, had any hospital beds," she said.

"That was something we were particularly interested in . . . to provide continuity of care when needs [of residents] change.


"However, it is not exclusive to residents of Waterlea."

Residents of Fairview Hospital and Waterlea Rest Home had not been informed of the takeover, Ms Powell said. They would be formally notified in writing over the next week.

All 35 staff at Fairview Hospital, including seven registered nurses, had been offered jobs with Bupa, Ms Powell said.

Immediate plans for the new Maxwell Care Home included refurbishment of bedrooms and communal areas.

Bupa was also looking at buying the site in front of the hospital to expand, she said.

Fairview Hospital had 30 beds at present with 20 occupied.

Waterlea Rest Home manager Kathy Hargreaves would also manage the new Maxwell Care Home, Ms Powell said.

Ms Hargreaves said Bupa had looked at providing hospital-level care at Waterlea Rest Home but that wasn't feasible.

"When this came up, it was just what we were looking for," she said. "Continuity is a word they use a lot in aged-care and that's what this will give us. It's the icing on the cake for us."

Waterlea provided only rest home and dementia care, Ms Hargreaves said.

Peter Callahan's wife, Jocelyn, was a resident at Waterlea Rest Home before moving to Fairview Hospital about 14 months ago. "I was pretty sad she had to leave Waterlea because of the care she was getting there. I'm pleased Bupa are taking over because that level of care will continue."

The care at Fairview Hospital had also been good, he said.

The Marlborough Express