Linkwater volunteer firefighters were called to a fire caused by a sparking incinerator near Havelock yesterday morning.
Linkwater chief fire officer Keith Delany said the lid of the incinerator was not put on properly.
Sparks flew out and set fire to dry grass nearby.
Two fire trucks were called to Queen Charlotte Dr, near Mahakipawa Arm, at 9.45am.
It took about 30 minutes to put out the flames, Mr Delany said.
The area north of the Wairau river, excluding Rarangi, is still on a restricted fire season.
- The Marlborough Express
Is the region better served by having multiple events over one weekend or spread out throughout the year?Related story: (See story)