Man admits assaulting partner

Last updated 13:38 14/05/2013

Relevant offers

The man at the centre of a complaint for which four people with links to the Mongrel Mob were arrested, has admitted assaulting his partner.

In the Blenheim District Court yesterday, Angus Hendrix Ngarangione, 22, unemployed, of Mayfield, admitted assaulting his partner on May 2 and was sentenced to nine months' supervision and 100 hours' community work.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Graham Single said police were called to Ngarangione's house about 8.30pm after reports of people screaming. Ngarangione had pushed the victim over after she ran away from him and was standing over her in a threatening manner when police got into the house, he said. Mr Single said the people in the house were drinking, but defence lawyer John Holdaway said Ngarangione denied he was drinking.

Judge Ian Mill said Ngarangione had a history of assaults and it was worrying that he had assaulted his partner. However, he said Ngarangione seemed to be doing well on a sentence he was serving at the time and the new sentence would replace that.

Another member of the group Saxon Dio Edwards, 24, of Mayfield, also appeared in court yesterday and denied charges of resisting and obstructing police and was remanded to reappear on July 23.

Another man and a woman arrested during the incident appeared in court last week. Phillip Edwards, 41, unemployed, of Mayfield, admitted disorderly behaviour likely to cause violence and was sentenced to 50 hours' community work, while caregiver Jacqueline Isaac, 49, of Mayfield, denied a charge of obstructing police and was remanded to June 25.

Also in court yesterday:

A 63-year-old Riverlands man was charged with indecently assaulting a woman on January 22. Judge Mill granted the man name suppression and remanded him to reappear on June 10.

A 28-year-old man appeared on a charge of assaulting an 8-year-old with a belt. Judge Mill granted the man interim name suppression and remanded him without plea to reappear on May 27.

Spring Creek man Timothy Andrew Belchier admitted causing a bike crash that put him and a friend he was riding with in hospital with head injuries and broken bones. Belchier, 50, admitted careless driving causing injury and was fined $1000 and disqualified from driving for six months.

Mr Single said Belchier, who had been riding bikes for 30 years, was riding in a group with four other bikes on State Highway 1 just north of the Hurunui Bridge when he pulled out to overtake a truck and went into the path of a campervan, hitting the side of it. He was knocked back on to his side of the road in front of a friend, who braked trying to avoid him and crashed her own bike, skidding down the road.

Ad Feedback

Belchier and the woman were both taken to Christchurch Hospital with broken bones and head injuries, Mr Single said. The woman suffered a broken jaw and tendon damage.

Defence lawyer Rob Harrison said Belchier had pulled out to check whether he could pass and was trying to pull back when he got caught in the truck's slipstream. Because of his injuries and time in hospital, he had lost his business, he said. He was devastated by the accident and had been in touch with the owners of the van arranging to pay about $9000 for any damage, he said. Belchier would be making sure reparation was paid to the victim, he said.

Metua Aberahama, 39, of Blenheim, denied a charge of assaulting the court security guard on May 6 and was remanded to reappear on June 25.

Gary Peter McLean was fined $500 after earlier admitting a charge of theft by a person in a special relationship. Judge Mill said McLean, a 44-year-old mechanic from Burleigh, had worked at the Power Boat Centre, where he was allowed to buy items at cost price with the manager's permission.

Between 2009 and 2012 McLean "developed a habit" of buying items at cost price when no-one was around and without permission of management, he said.

He also kept some items that were left over from jobs he did out of the office and took two CDs with a program used for work, he said. Mr Harrison asked that McLean be discharged without conviction because as McLean would likely lose his job and be unable to get another.

Ken Jeff MacGregor, 54, of Riversdale, admitted a charge of possessing cannabis, but denied cultivating cannabis and was remanded to reappear on June 25.

- The Marlborough Express

Special offers
Opinion poll

Is the region better served by having multiple events over one weekend or spread out throughout the year?

Multiple events

Spread out over year

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content