Claims flood in to EQC
Almost 1236 claims have been lodged from Marlborough with the Earthquake Commission since the severe 6.6 magnitude quake which struck the region on Friday.
EQC general manager customer services Bruce Emson said almost 1800 claims had been lodged from Marlborough since the swarm of quake activity began with the magnitude 5.9 quake on July 19.
Six teams of two, including EQC assessor Deborah John and estimator Adrian Everse landed in Marlborough on Monday to begin assessing homes and contents damaged in the quakes.
Today the teams will be heading out to Seddon, to start visiting properties closer to the quakes' epicentres.
Assessors would call claimants to arrange a suitable time to visit and would keep them updated about the process through email or post.
Mr Emson said EQC staff were experienced in earthquake damage assessments from Christchurch but their approach would be different to the Canterbury events.
"Building claims will be cash settled rather than EQC managing repairs, as it has done for some Christchurch homes."
EQC would also be assessing damaged contents, so people should keep damaged items so they could be assessed, he said.
The processing of the claims was not expected to affect time frames for settling claims in Canterbury.
- The Marlborough Express