Springlands Veterinary Centre has called on large animal owners to check their pets' embedded microchips as batches from the same supplier have failed.
Springlands Veterinarian Nigel Nesbit said two batches of microchips had been found with between 30 and 50 per cent national failure rates.
"The microchips that are failing come from batches starting with either the number 900088 or 9000088. Owners can bring their dogs in to have them scanned and if their chips are faulty, we will replace them free of charge with chips from our new supplier," Mr Nesbit said.
Dog owner Alice Mills took her two dogs to be checked by Springlands on Saturday after receiving a warning letter.
"They scanned both our dogs all over, because the chips move under the skin. They even used a second scanner just to be sure, but found both our boys' chips were not working. They gave them each a new one and we were on our way," Mrs Mills said. "We were very glad that their chips were working again, because just that day our one boy got his collar off and I have no idea how we would have found him had he gotten out."
If pets go missing, microchips make the process of returning them to their owners much quicker.
"People have put their trust in microchips to help keep their animals safe and we don't want that to change," Mr Nesbit said.
Melissa Haylock, of Spring Creek, is the owner of two boisterous rescued siberian huskies.
"We have had both our dogs' microchips checked and thankfully they were working fine. It is good to know they are safe and will be found if need be," Mrs Haylock said.
The microchips were also used in some pet doors and could lock pets in or out of their houses if not checked.
"I don't like imagining a cat sitting outside patiently staring at their cat flap and it doesn't open. I call on all dog owners and those with microchip access pet doors to come in and have the microchips checked. We will continue checking every animal going forward as we unfortunately never know when these microchips may fail. It is always better to have it checked and have peace of mind," Mr Nesbit said.
- The Marlborough Express