Talley's ice-making machine causes ammonia leak in Picton
An ice-making machine has leaked ammonia on a wharf at Port Marlborough, causing ships to be delayed .
Emergency services were alerted to the leak at Waitohi Wharf at 8.15am.
Picton Volunteer Fire Brigade chief fire officer Wayne Wytenburg said Port Marlborough staff were able to turn off the Talley's ice-making machine with an external "kill-switch".
The spill was contained to the area but ships coming in to berth were delayed while the spill dissipated, Wytenberg said.
A technician and three Port Marlborough staff members were assessed by St John ambulance staff, but were unharmed, Wytenburg said.
"It hasn't got a very nice smell, and it can make people feel a bit off, like they can't breathe properly," Wytenburg explained.
"So they set off all the bells and whistles, but it was a minor event. Port Marlborough handled it exactly as they were supposed to."
The wharf has since reopened.
- The Marlborough Express