Search for missing boaties

19:17, Dec 03 2013
Shark Tooth
Two men are feared drowned after a boat capsized off Shark's Tooth near Kaikoura at 9am today

A man is dead and his boating companion is missing after the boat they were in capsized near Kaikoura yesterday morning.

The dead man was named this morning as Ronald Monk, of Kaikoura. He was aged 75.

The missing man, who police say is presumed dead, is Robin Reinke, 79, of Kaikoura.

More than 20 people, along with boats, a plane and a helicopter, were searching for the missing man while daylight allowed them to continue yesterday and the search was to resume this morning.

Police spokesperson Barbara Dunn said police had established that the two men, aged 74 and 79, set off about 7am to check crayfish pots in a small boat.

About 8.15am a member of the public found the semi-submerged boat in Whaler's Bay, near Kaikoura.


The boat was found stern up, which indicated it had gone down nose first, she said. Police and the Coastguard were alerted shortly after 9am, and about 9.30am the body of the 74-year-old man was found on the shoreline.

The dead man was wearing a lifejacket, but it had not been inflated.

A large-scale search continued for the missing 79-year-old man.

The police dive squad were to join the search late yesterday.

The weather in Kaikoura yesterday morning was fine and sea conditions were calm.

The Express understands the men are both retired Kaikoura men who would have been used to going out on boats in the area and setting and checking craypots.

The men's boat was towed to shore and will be examined by police investigators and Maritime New Zealand.


Drowning is consistently the third highest cause of unintentional death in New Zealand, surpassed only by road vehicle crashes and accidental falls.

There were 98 drowning deaths in New Zealand last year.

This was a 26 per cent decrease from the 2011 toll of 132 and the third lowest toll since 1980.

This year's toll sits at 64. 



The Marlborough Express