Building report to be made public
The Education Ministry was still checking yesterday whether the reports on the possible changes to secondary schooling in Blenheim should be made public, officials say.
The reports, understood to be written for the ministry by engineering consultants Aurecon, assessed what it would cost to fix the building problems at Marlborough Boys' College and Marlborough Girls' College, and assessed different options for secondary schooling.
Both colleges have significant problems with their old earthquake-risk and leaky buildings and the ministry estimated it would cost about $13.6 million to repair them.
A public meeting of about 200 people held on Monday asked for more information on the options, and officials from the schools and the ministry said the Aurecon reports would be made available.
Facilitator Janet Kelly said she had hoped the reports would be made public earlier this week, but they had not been cleared in time.
Education Ministry southern regional property manager Simon Cruikshank said the reports should be available today and would be put on the colleges' websites.
Consultation with the public about what they wanted for students in the future had been extended from January 20 to February 3.
Another public meeting would be held on January 20.
Ms Kelly told Monday's meeting the two colleges were driving the review, and the ministry was supporting it, as an opportunity to look ahead at what was best for students in Blenheim.
There was no preferred option and everything was on the table, she said.
The Marlborough Express