31 applications for quake assistance
The Mayoral Earthquake Fund has received 31 applications from people asking for help after the July and August earthquakes.
The fund balance at the end of November was $31,350.20.
Marlborough District Council community development advisor Lyne Reeves said 16 applications had been received by the original deadline of September 30.
The deadline was extended to November 22 by Mayor Alistair Sowman after the Seddon-Ward community signalled the need for more assistance, she said.
During the extension period, a further 15 applications were received.
Of those 15, five were from organisations and 10 were from individuals, Ms Reeves said.
Of the individuals, nine were from Seddon and one was from Ward.
A breakdown of the first 16 applications was not available.
The Mayoral Earthquake Fund committee will meet today to consider the applications.
Applicants will be advised of the outcome when a decision is made, Ms Reeves said.
The fund was set up to assist people needing help because they have been affected by the July and August quakes. Priority will be given to those who were not able to gain assistance through other agencies.
Meanwhile, the deadline for Earthquake Commission claims related to damage from the July 21 and August 16 quakes has now passed.
A total of 12,149 claims had been received - 4444 from within the South Island, 6099 from Greater Wellington and 1606 from other areas.
The EQC has crossed the halfway point in assessing the Cook Strait claims and has paid out 636 claims totalling over $6.4 million.
About $5.4 million of the settled claims were in the South Island.
The majority of damage to roofs and chimneys occurred close to the epicentre in the area of Seddon.
All 15 cap claims for damage of $100,000 or more were in Seddon.
Cook Strait assessments are consistent with GNS findings.
The Marlborough Express