A Blenheim man has pleaded guilty to sexually abusing a child.
The 68-year-old man, who has name suppression, faced nine sex charges relating to a child aged under 12 when he appeared in the Blenheim District Court yesterday.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Graham Single told the court that the man indecently assaulted an 8-year-old girl numerous times between April and December 2010. The man accepted five charges of indecently assaulting a child and four of committing an indecent act with intent to insult a child.
He had previously pleaded guilty to a sole charge of indecently assaulting a woman over the age of 16.
Mr Single said the man lived several metres away from the child's grandparents, where she used to stay about three nights a week while her mother was working.
While the girl was staying with her grandparents, she would visit the man, and he would entice her into his bedroom, where he would expose himself to her and perform indecent acts on himself.
He later began performing sexual acts on the girl, and offered her confectionary and money, telling her it was their secret so she should not tell anyone about the incidents.
On other occasions the man would read adult magazines in front of her.
When spoken to by police he admitted the facts, but said he never offered her money.
He said he used to wonder what he was doing and accepted that he needed help.
He was remanded in custody for sentencing and would reappear on April 15.
- The Marlborough Express
Is the region better served by having multiple events over one weekend or spread out throughout the year?Related story: (See story)